1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Fogerty on Mojo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 6, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saw John Fogerty on Mojo last night, it's been repeated numerous times but I hadn't been able to catch the whole show until last night.

He can still bring it for a 61-year-old (turns 62 on May 28). Has a pretty solid band as well. He's doing a Canadian tour this summer so those of you NOTB get atreat.

Did a lot of his very old stuff, too, like "Bootleg" and some other under-appreciated nuggets.

My older brother turned me on to CCR with "Green River." I still remember buying "Cosmos Factory," my original copy of which I still own someplace.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saw him in 2005 on a double bill with Mellencamp, a very enjoyable combination.

And saw him at the Vote for Change shows in 2004, when he teamed up with Bruce and the ESB (and R.E.M).

Absolutely superb -- Fogerty was the missing link between Dylan and Springsteen.

In fact, an "American Rock" festival tour, with Bob The Father, Fogerty, Seger and Springsteen, and Petty and Mellencamp all on the bill, would be a classic. If they could ever put it together. (Of course, tickets would probably start at $500).

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Fogerty is a favorite. Yet, his voice and song style has mellowed over the years, even with the old CCR hits. Still good. Just noticeable.

4. Great show last summer at the local shed. He even pulled out "It Came Out Of The Sky," his most underrated song.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fogerty is OK, but I'm spoiled by Neil Young, who has a similar vocal range.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fogerty never near has gotten credit he deserved as one of the great American rockers. I can never get enough of hearing Susie Q.

A few years back I was up in Coopsterstown at HOF and ran into him. I was in HOF room standing reading the Joe Dimagio plaque and I realize standing right next to me was John Foggerty. We had a nice chat - good guy obviously huge baseball fan. Told him that when I used to go to gentlemen's clubs that I would request that dj play Susie Q. We had a good laugh. He told me his favorite player of all time was Ed Brinkman.

7. Ed Brinkman?
    OK, Boom. He has to have told why. C'mon, dude. Spill it.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fogerty is one of the all-time greatest American song writers. Stuff like "Fortunate Son", "Who'll Stop The Rain" and "Bad Moom Rising" is matched by dozens of other classics. "Up Around The Bend" has one of the greatest guitar openings ever.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I knew a guy once whose nickname was Bad Moon Risin', for the best of reasons.

Fogerty has a special place in the hearts of those who served in Vietnam. He and Jimi Hendrix.

"Looka me, I can be, centa feeyul." Man oh man...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Given the current political climate down there I suppose "Fortunate Son" is a relevant today as the day it was written.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why - did they start the draft again?

Draft saved Draft deleted