1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Elway's Horsefaced Heroes; Week 7 NCAA FB Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just to answer the question WAAAAAAAY back -- Florida last played a BCS-conference opponent not named Miami or Florida State in 1991, when they lost at Syracuse. They played Louisville in 1992, but UL was an independent at the time. 1991 was the first year of the Big East football conference.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You mean "Miami or Florida State," I assume, because the Gators and Canes played a few years ago. 1991 was also the last year before the SEC expanded and went to an 8-game conference schedule (from 6), which is probably the reason Florida would give if you asked them why they don't play a tougher non-conference schedule.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I meant. I shall amend my post, and I shall send you several rupees for catching the error of my ways. :D

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Part of me wants to see a Cincinnati-Boise State title game, which could get thumped soundly in the TV ratings and pave the road for a real playoff.

What I'd like to see even more is those two teams (and maybe TCU as well for good measure) go undefeated and then get passed over for a one or two-loss Florida, Texas, USC or whomever from a "power" conference.

Those schools would have every reason to whine at that point.

The system -- like all political systems -- is set up to protect the interests of those in power. If they can't have a playoff, how can you settle such a debate? Maybe it would be time to split Division I up yet again and let the WAC, MWC, C-USA, Mid-America Conference and Sun Belt have their own championship system.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Based on the statements of the Big 10, I think we'd be more likely to see the current system blown up in favor of returning to the prior bowl system than for a playoff.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The old system wouldn't be that bad - if things played out as expected:

Rose: USC-Iowa
    Fiesta: Texas-Boise State
    Sugar: Alabama-Cincinnati
    Orange: Florida - Miami

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, they're not. It may seem that way, but the sample size is far too small and the variables to numerous to say that.

Two times they had one loss and "as much claim as anyone" and didn't get a chance.

One time they were one of three unbeaten teams, and someone else got left out.

Oklahoma seems to be the Golden Child, but that's about all, if anything, you can take from the past few years.

Auburn could make the claim that "We have zero chance, because even if we go undefeated we can't play for the title," and that would be equally erroneous.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, the REAL old system would probably look something like this:

Rose: USC-Iowa
    Sugar: Florida-Georgia Tech
    Orange: Kansas-Miami
    Cotton: Texas-Alabama
    Fiesta: Notre Dame-Penn State

Draft saved Draft deleted