1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Edwards quits the race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 30, 2008.

1. You know, I watched that debate and, except for Edwards's excessive deference (and that's by MY standards, which include anything short of hitting him the face with a pie), I thought he did pretty well. He did a LOT better than Weepin' Joe Lieberman did four years earlier, when he let The Dick get away with having said he'd never gotten any government money, even though, under Cheney, Halliburton had been a fucking vacuum cleaner.
    This is a good man who's right on most of the issues, and has survived almost inconceivable personal grief (with more to come, alas). The process was enobled for having him in it.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It is said that even Kerry was horrified at how facile Edwards could be.

You really have to stop and ponder that for a moment.

Guys like Edwards only get elected president in movies.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Regardless, this pretty much locks up the White House for whomever comes from the Republican ticket.

4. "It is said" by whom?
    I do know that Edwards wanted Kerry to slug back at the Swifties, which he should have.

And I am gonna miss the missus, if only for moments like this...

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm still waiting for my Edwards bumper sticker to arrive. I'm disappointed Edwards is bailing and pissed that he's finally getting some good ink now that he's dropping out.
    I'm backing Obama now.
    Here's the note Edwards e-mailed to donors:
    Let me start by saying, "Thank you." You have stood with Elizabeth and me throughout this campaign. Your support has sustained us as we have traveled across this country.

Earlier today, I suspended my campaign for the Democratic nomination for the presidency. I made this announcement from where our journey began just over 12 months ago: New Orleans.

I began my presidential campaign in New Orleans to remind the country that all of us -- as citizens and as a government -- have a moral responsibility to each other, and what we do together matters.

Now, it's time for me to step aside so that history can blaze its path. We do not know who will take the final steps to the White House -- but what we do know is that our Democratic Party will make history.

And, along the way, all of you who have been involved in this campaign and this movement for change and this cause, I am asking you to continue speaking out for those who have no voice, just as Elizabeth and I will continue to do. We need you.

Do not turn away from the great struggles before us. Do not give up on the causes that we have fought for. Do not walk away from what's possible, because it's time for all of us -- all of us together -- to make the two Americas one. We need you.

I hope you will take a few moments to listen to the video clip of my speech in New Orleans earlier this afternoon or to read it below.

In the meantime, Elizabeth and my family join me in thanking all of you for your support and for working so hard on my behalf. We are truly blessed to have such friends

6. wtf?

7. DanOregon

Anybody that won't vote for a Dem because they don't want a female or black president isn't voting for a Democrat anyway.

And while I'm disappointed the race has narrowed so sharply, so quickly, these candidates have been running for a year. Back then, people complained and said "it's too soon, I don't care now." Well, it's like waiting until Christmas Eve to start shopping for presents. There's no problem with it, but just don't complain about the lack of selection or sizes you need.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gee, Dan, there are about 40 states that haven't even voted yet. Mine is two weeks away. For most Americans the freight line was hijacked along the way and a lot of the stock was taken before it got here.

9. DanOregon

I think most people understand that the primaries are front-loaded which is why Iowa and New Hampshire are so critical. If you're waiting for a campaign to get to your state to make up your mind but aren't willing to chip in for gas money to help a candidate stay in the race, you get what you don't pay for.
    I agree the way we pick candidates is a joke. And before reading "Freakinomics", I was a big proponent for campaign finance reform. But giving all candidates a reasonable chance to show their stuff in four relatively smaller states in the Midwest, Northeast, South and West before Super Tuesday is better than it has been for a while.
    I'd prefer a nationally-mandated schedule that alternated weekly between traditionally red and blue states. Perhaps even a random draw for order a few months before Iowa and New Hampshire, requiring candidates to develop a wide base of support instead of banking on regional appeal.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Too bad. He had a lot of good things to say, and said them well. I hope he sticks around in some form (AG, back to the Senate, etc.)
    I wonder, though, why drop out now, rather than wait a few more days until Super Tuesday, if you're not going to endorse anyone? He could have hung in another week, collected more delegates, and then played kingmaker. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious, just honestly wondering. I could see it if he came out strong for Obama, but he didn't.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

His absence helps Obama. Obama will factor it in, with everything else.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

America at large is not voting for a woman or a black man. Forget it.

Draft saved Draft deleted