1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Edwards lost the election today on Meet the Press

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, that's not fair.

Give him time to color in the pictures, will ya?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The problem is that he is so nuanced. The appearance to many is that he's fishing for votes, rather than just taking a stand. My guess is that he doesn't give a rats ass about whether his neighbor is gay or straight. It'd be cool if he just said that. But he's trying to stay true to that and at the same time placate religious people, by giving nuanced "but I'm a Southern Baptist" answers. I didn't see Meet The press, but I've seen him give this answer in the past: "I support civil unions and I am against discriminating against gays, but I'm a Southern Baptist, so I don't support gay marriage."

That position could be consistent, I suppose, but how many people legitimately think in such nuanced terms? I'd even buy it, except he's that slippery when it comes to so many other things.

The guy has a charisma about him that most of the other candidates don't. It's sort of a "twinkle in his eye" charisma that's a bit reminiscent of Bill Clinton. But Clinton was a master of saying nothing and making it sound like he stood for big ideas. When Edwards does that, it sounds like he's speaking in generalities to avoid taking stands. Unfortunately for him, he comes up an inch short of Clinton in terms of that charisma.

He was at his best when he was being an old-fashioned populist. His "two Americas" speech was a bunch of horse shit, but it was very effective. He could run that way and not have to triangulate and come off as slippery, because 95 percent of the population thinks they are part of the "wrong America." Give that speech, and 95 out of 100 people in the audience are going, "Right on, brother!"

I think the problem for him is that people want to talk about Iraq right now, not two Americas, and it's a bad conversation for him. His calculation three years ago was that voting against Iraq was the wrong poilitical move. His calculation today is that he fucked that one up, so much so that he's desperately trying to make himself appear anti-war instead of the guy who kept voting for Bush's measures, so he's taking the most extreme, "Let's pull all the troops tomorrow" stance he can. It comes off as calculated, though, the way many things with him do.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I haven't read a single post of this thread, not even the first one, but based on the thread title, all I have to say is I can't believe any of you are even awake to watch Meet the Press. I don't even know what the morning is anymore.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

5. If you think Russert is a "Cliunton fan," well, that's the end of things right there.
    And anybody over the age of five thinks in "nuanced" terms.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why? Because YOU declare it?

I have yet to see signs of you being anyone's D.C. genius.

Nor did Molly Ivins ever refer to you with affection.

But good try.

I'm off to hear Rudy G. on Hannity. You need to try him with an open mind. If that is really possible.

7. That's exactly how I think. Pretty much covers my take on abortion, as well. And neither should be deciding who the President of the United States is. Ever. Not in 08, 04, 00. EVER.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No, it shouldn't.

Tell that to Pat, Jerry, and their acolytes.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Personally, I was more concerned with his remark about raising taxes to pay for health care than I was the gay marriage issue. If John is smart, he won't go there.

Oh well, at least he pulled the Walter Mondale card and came right out and said he'd do it. :)

10. OK, my bad. Not everybody -- and I'm making a big assumption here as regards the Yawn fellow -- over the age of five thinks in nuanced terms. Some people are just blockheads.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh yes. Freedom of Speech is given to everyone but Christians. Muslims, speak out and against all you want. But you Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, T.D. Jakes...nothing from you. You're what's wrong with America.

Glad you clarified that, wise ones.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yawn,
    It's not fair that only people signed up for SportsJournalists.com can read your posts. Have you ever thought of printing out your views on pamphlets and handing them out on street corners?

Draft saved Draft deleted