1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Edwards hates Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 17, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Anything that promotes class warfare should be embraced by the Left, because they practice it every day.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You want to tell me a 6-year-old gets all that? And by gets it, I don't mean repeats Daddy's talking points.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think the 6-year-old has just as much chance as you do of understanding the message. Why do you think it's OK to interpret the kid as mocking the other kid? Were you there?

4. No, what cran is saying is that a six-year old talks about a classmate's shoes because that's what a six-year old does. (And I don't see tha "making fun of" part in the story at all.) That his father happens to be correct about the loathesome impact of Wal-Mart on working Americans is a bonus.

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

I don't believe that's true. I believe Wal-Mart provides jobs at fair wages to low-skilled workers who have few better options, which is why every Wal-Mart store opening is greeted by hundreds more job applicants than can possibly work there.

But even if I agree with your premise, that still doesn't answer the question of why a tiny bit of the vitriol directed at Wal-Mart isn't directed toward Target, which has arguably been more successful recently in exploiting workers, raping America's idyllic countrysides and forcing mom-and-pop stores to shutter their doors forever.

6. dixiehack

Well, let's see. Considering I grew up in a broke-ass family and DID have to wear Wal-Mart sneakers at times because we were that poor, and I, along with other poor kids DID get teased unmercifully about our sorry economic state, I can make the strong inference that the teasing scenario is likely. And since I have yet to see any 6-year-olds getting published in peer-reviewed economics journals, or shooting the shit on CNBC, or even posting messages on DailyKos, I can make the strong inference that the sophisticated political prodigy scenario is far less likely.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When I was a kid making fun of someone for shopping at K-Mart was the big thing. Kids know when something is a real cheap and use it to make fun of others. It is just one of many things that kids do when they are kids.

I will only point out that nowhere in the story does it say that any kid was "made fun of" for shopping at Wal-Mart. I am not saying it didn't happen or doesn't happen. But it isn't listed here.

To the main story... Edwards comes out looking like shit in this. I think it is a case of Edwards asking some aide if he can obtain a PS3 and the aide asking a volunteer to call around to all the stores to find one.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Wal-Mart were around in 1978, it would have been the set piece for Dawn of the Dead, not "one of those new shopping malls" in suburban Pittsburgh.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A 6-year old shouldn't be chiding another classmate about anything, certainly not where his parents buy his shoes.

Maybe Edwards would be better off spending more time teaching his child a little more about being considerate to others and less about the evils of Wal-Mart.

10. dixiehack

That may as well have been Hercules' next labor. Six-year-olds are going to be cruel occasionally, no matter how good the parenting.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

When you return from Fantasy Land, let us know.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It only took four replies. Shocking.

Draft saved Draft deleted