1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Clayton's wife says disability cost her a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

I know Pat and she's among the most caring individuals I've come across. She'd do anything she can to help another person. Shockey is spot on about MS patients never, ever wanting to be a burden on anyone. I know this because my sister has MS and Pat has long offered her advice and encouragement. To think that anyone would hold her affliction against Pat is unimaginable and, frankly, unforgiveable. For a co-worker to do so is bad enough; for a supervisor to either do so -- or condone the same -- is far worse. (And, yes, Pat and John met while working at the News Tribune in Tacoma.)

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can people really be that stupid and hold jobs? I know they can be that evil, but can they be that stupid?

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Unfortunately, yes ... and it seems that employers want to hire more people like that every day ...

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

But it wasn't even a quote. It's the writer's own work.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This story has so much fail attached to it, beginning with the co-workers and getting even worse with the writer's comment that she doesn't need the job.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Might she have any cause for litigation?
    Seems to me there's a problem with the building in question as well as the culture of the people in it.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think there might be under the ADA, which certainly covers municipal public entities (Title II). Her MS obviously impairs her to such a degree that she would fall under the law's purview. Her work status might be a question, however. The story says she was a "temporary worker," but she was paid, so she clearly wasn't a volunteer. Assuming she's covered, the county would have to provide a reasonable accommodation, which they obviously didn't.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Of course. Quite a few of them become CEOs.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Based on ESPN commercials, I assumed Clayton was single and living at home with his mom.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How bad does Ingalls need HIS job?

Maybe we'll find out.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I watched the video and it really doesn't follow text word-for-word, which some TV-based stories do. It's odd.

Still, that was a crazy line to write.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course I know nothing about the particulars of the matter so I have no idea about the pros and cons of the case itself.

But to gratuitiously throw out "it's not like she really needs the job" certainly reaches HOF levels of douchebaggery.

Draft saved Draft deleted