1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Clayton's wife says disability cost her a job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

RENTON, Wash. -- A Renton woman says her wheelchair cost her a job at King County Elections.

Patricia Clayton was a temporary worker at the elections headquarters in Renton for four years, so she was surprised when her bosses told her Monday she was no longer welcome.

“They said there was a complaint – complaints from my co-workers that I was a burden to my co-workers asking them to assist me,” said Clayton.

http://www.king5.com/news/Elections-worker-says-disability-cost-her-a-job-177053071.html

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

That seems like incredible cowardice on the part of the supervisors, blaming co-workers.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

She worked agate in Tacoma at The News Tribune for a lot of years. I believe that's where they met, in fact.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"It’s not like Clayton needs the $17 an hour job. Her husband is an NFL Hall of Fame sportswriter and ESPN commentator."

Are you serious Chris Ingalls?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A shameful, brain-dead comment.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If true, there should be a special place in hell for anyone who complains about having to help someone in a wheelchair. "Aww FUCK! You mean I have to stop focusing on what matters to ME at this moment to help YOU??? Fuck this."

Suck a dick, choke on it and die.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i know pat. we are both blessed with m.s., the gift that just keeps on giving. and, like me, NOTHING pains pat more than having to be so reliant on the assistance of others. people are incredibly kind, almost NEVER allowing us to feel like we're a burden or a pain-in-the-butt. so when others show no shame by acting with cowardice it REALLY stands out.

shame on them all. i wish them all nothing but good health, because trust me, payback WILL be a bitch....

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As I read the story, I imagined how terrible I'd feel if someone I cared about was humiliated like that. Awful.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too. Then I got to wondering, and I'm not sure we can weigh in on this one without the full set of facts. What if, for example, the colleagues wanted to help Clayton, but a supervisor was starting to get on them because the process was taking "too much time?" Or something like that. Again, I don't know, but it's possible the problem is not the colleagues but the supervisors.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

In any case, colleagues or supervisors (or both), it still is shameful and abhorrent to treat someone that way.

Shockey said it right: payback will be a bitch. They'll get theirs one day, either here on earth or when they meet their maker.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good Lord. That sentence stopped the story dead in its tracks.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If someone said that shit about my wife, if would take everything in me to resist punching them in the teeth. "You deserve no self-worth because your spouse makes money doing journalism!"

As clueless a quote as I've seen in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted