1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Cazale

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That would be the obvious recovery.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fair enough. Apologies all around.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No snideness.... I was just surprised by the verb.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wait a minute, Buck.
    If you're not jokling, you're putting Caddyshack and Animal House in the same caliber of movies as The Deer Hunter, Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather 1 & 2, and The Conversation.

Please tell me you were joking... or you've been drinking heavily tonight.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Might be blasphemy, but I didn't care for "The Deer Hunter." It just seemed to drag on forever, and I never could get into it. "Dog Day" was good, but I wouldn't place it better than "Caddyshack" or "Animal House." Never saw "The Conversation."

And yes, I'd put Caddyshack and Animal House up there with the Godfathers. Different genres, different reasons for greatness. But all of them are great -- and eternally rewatchable.

(Again) just for the record: I'm not comparing Cazale to Sarah Holcomb. Not in the least. Holcomb had bit roles in two classics -- that's it. She's not in Cazale's class, not even close.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow, Buck. Just wow!

Caddyshack and Animal House = great to watch, great fun, great entertainment.

Godfathers, Dog Day etc. = great filmaking.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I said: different reasons for greatness. Pacino was excellent in that movie, and it was a well-made movie. I can appreciate it, yes. It's great, yes. Caddyshack and Animal House were raunchy comedies. But, IMHO, I like them better.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because you like them better doesn't make them the same caliber of movie...which you said they are.
    I'm really not a big fan of The Deer Hunter but I can see why people say it is great filmaking.
    Caddyshack and Animal House are not "great" movies.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This type of thinking is why great comedies and great comedic performances never win an Oscar.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I agree.

Animal House and Caddyshack are every bit the classics that every Cazale movie (save the first two Godfathers, perhaps) was.

But, my point is that it was only those two movies... PLUS a couple of bombs... on Ms. "Tanks for Nuttin!"'s resume.

Draft saved Draft deleted