1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Brisker Lives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This whole thread feels a little fiction-y. Meta.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Gotta admit, that was very well-played.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Super. I try to be nice and now I'm forever in the Boom archive. This will haunt my grandchildren.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Meta ? Az you have been hanging around to many artists.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Still have a Brisker Topps cards in gold Sonics uni. He kinda looks like Amin in the pose. John Brisker and Wendell Ladner-two of the baddest asses in the ABA.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

[Post redacted]

YHS, etc

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's good stuff.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think this is really lame shit. It is frustrating to not know what parts are true and and what parts are fictionalized. Loved the ABA, loved watching Brisker play. The Condors PR guy interviewed in the article is a real person -- in fact I worked with him on a newspaper years after his ABA days. Fuck ESPN. I never read their suck-ass mag unless I am in the proctologist's waiting room.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tell us how you really feel Frank. After realizing much to my embarrassment that it was the fiction issue I went back and read some to the other work. Actually some pretty good stuff that gets lost in all the ESPN BS. Good idea bad execution.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought the whole concept of a fiction issue was absurd. Hide a great fiction piece in a regular issue and I'll likely give it a try (Sidd Finch), but tell me the whole mag is fiction and I'm not picking it up to begin with.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Ridgeway,

You did see the cover with the 96-point type declaring it a fiction issue, right? I can only presume that you don't make the distinction between fact and truth. There is one. Fiction seeks the latter and sometimes might incorporate the former.

If you read closely enough, the note attached to the story defines everything that is fact: the State docs, the real-life subjects I talked to (Cranwell, Mark Brisker, etc), and, in fact, attempted contacts with the woman who claimed to be a daughter of Brisker. That was research. The rest is fiction. But I guess you missed that part in flipping through the magazine so quickly and I apologize for it not appearing in Esquire (great idea, killing Derek Jeter) or a publication you approve of. Yeah, I edged out Wright Thompson and Tobias Wolff to get in the issue and my story met with the approval of the guest editor, Dave Eggers who certainly doesn't have as many Pulitzer and major book noms as yerself. My life is worth nothing without your approval. Forgive me for not expanding on these worthwhile themes because I have to duck into a corner with my recently-received contract from Penguin for a series of suspense novels and grind out the other two non-fiction books I'm under deadline on.

YHS, etc

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I said I never read the mag unless I am at the proctologist (I never go to the proctologist), thus I was not "thumbing through" the mag, just reading the link here. I read the mag so seldom that I didn't even know you and he are the same person. It is the self-indulgent, childish crap that keeps me away. It's a free country -- or I guess in this case, countries -- so you can do as you wish. Conversely, I don't have to like it, or even pretend to.

YCBM, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted