1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Adams Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 16, 2008.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Agreed. I was going to give it up after "The Wire" ended. Now this. DAMN YOU, DECENT TELEVISION!

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it those fighting scenes would be between the Iroquois and the Norse invaders

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That guy is Danny Huston, who I've had the good fortune of getting plastered with once. He's the son of legendary director John Huston and is Angelica's brother (why the long face?)

He's a great guy -- by example, he recently appeared in the crap move The Number 23 in which he plays the ex-husband of Virginia Madsen. It wasn't until the first day of line readings that he happened to mention (as did she -- they are both great sports) to the director that he was once MARRIED to Virginia Madsen. By all accounts, they got along fine on the set together.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Slate magazine: No way John Adams' teeth looked that good!!

http://www.slate.com/id/2186751/

(I kinda disagree with their point that the lighting is accurate. I thought it was like every other movie -- interior scenes from the days before electricity were wildly overlit.)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The mob would never let the unions work on that set. They still claim that Christopher Columbus discovered America. Anything before 1492 or involving Leif Ericsson isn't going to sit well with them

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Fenian, he was a true wuss. The period was full of guys who were too rich and smart for their own good, and he goes to the top.

A note on Joseph Warren -- I don't know why he wasn't at least introduced or why his death wasn't shown (a pictorial homage to the Trumbull masterpiece would have been a nice touch) -- his remains were positively identified dentally. It's the first known case.

7. He turns up when Adams runs into the militia coming back from Concord. he's on horseback. What I don't understand is that I thought Adams's farm was in Braintree, which is on the other side of Boston from the route of march from the city to Lexington and Concord. Even today, with traffic, it would take you 45 minutes. Did this scene really happen?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Expediency and immediacy, for film's sake.

The Preston trial was in late October 1770. Understood on the brutality of the Massachusetts weather, and some have asserted that there was a "mini Ice Age" in North America during the pre-Revolution years and on through the conflict at large, but I don't think Adams was doing his legwork through snowy streets.

I hate to tear shit like this apart (my girlfriend won't even watch it with me) because I appreciate the love being put into this, but, really, this is what you get when a pop historian is the face of the project.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just turned it on for the first time, to see a naked guy tarred and feathered.

For a minute I thought it was Project Runway.

10. And this, also, is why I put this thread up there.
    Well-struck, madam.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like David Morse, but the G.W. makeup was, to borrow from Perez Hilton, shiteous.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

After watching the first three episodes, I'm convinced they should get rid of Adams, and give Franklin his own sitcom.

I'm increasingly disappointed....really liked the first episode, but it's increasingly tedious and dull.

Is it just me?

Draft saved Draft deleted