1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Adams $1 gold coins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, May 7, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I will say this about the state quarters and collectors. How many people started collecting them at the very beginning, years ago? Now how many of those people have actually collected all of them to date? In 100 years, with very likely so few full sets in good condition, they might actually be worth something.

2. My wife once tried to use a dollar coin in a local store, can't remember if it was a Wal-Mart of Target, but you get the idea.

She hands the cashier bills and change, and the cashier tells her they don't accept Mexican money.

Mrs. Scribe: "It's a U.S. coin. It says so right there."

The cashier turns it over and over and over in her hand a dozen times, as if a new side will appear if she looks at it long enough. Finally she calls over a supervisor, who turns it over and over and over in his hand and finally accepts it, but insists on seeing my wife's driver's license first.

Idiots. I blame the parents. Or the schools. Or polygamists. ;)

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I have a book of the state quarters, with slots for both Philadelphia & Denver mint. Those D's are hard to come by out here on the east coast.

I'm not expecting them to be worth anything, I just thought it would be cool to collect a whole set.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm already counting down the days until the Martin Van Buren coin comes out (November 13)! 2012 - The year of Grover Cleveland:

21 Chester A. Arthur 1881-1885
    22 Grover Cleveland 1885-1889
    23 Benjamin Harrison 1889-1893
    24 Grover Cleveland 1893-1897

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

[​IMG]

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Put $5 in a soda machine.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Back when Pac Man Jones in da club was big news, somebody came on sports talk here with a brilliant line. He said he was going to a strip joint with a bag of nickles and making it hail.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why was your wife hanging out in Eldorado?

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but they won't be mainstream until you can use them in vending machines. I get a fistfull of these from the subway change machine and I can't use them at work--The stupid machines take a dollar bill, but no slots for dollar coins. I like Canuckistan's money system. A 1-dollar and 2-dollar coin--Bills in 5s, 10s, etc.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Unbelievable. Very nice, my friend.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I occasionally use a $5 in a pop machine to get a couple to add to my folder. I save one to use later, and I put one in my change jar.

I know they won't be worth much, but like my grandpa, I just like collecting crap like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted