1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joey Votto's contract

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume you find Jayson Stark and the Wall Street Journal to be somewhat credible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings091119

What brought me to this thread is you saying there was no "legitimate" revenue sharing. And then when I said there was, you cited the luxury-tax-only numbers. Now you are confronted with the fact that hundreds of millions of dollars changes hands every year. Yep, you were unaware and got educated. Go sleep it off.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just because you insist on it does not make it so. I never claimed that your last link was not credible, but nice try at misrepresentation. But I'm used to that. It's what the baseball apologists do in these discussions. That, and try to grasp onto smaller parts of the argument rather than the whole. Otherwise, it just looks like they prefer a system that stacks the deck for some teams and against others.

I said that the number was not there in your previous link. It is there in this one. Thank you.

To me legitimate revenue sharing leads to an even playing field, which baseball does not have. You are free to hold a different opinion on that matter. The fact remains that the NFL shares a much larger portion of its revenue, though I grant that MLB can't do things that way because the funds come in differently.

Which is why an MLB needs a floor and cap even more than the NFL does. Thank you for helping me illustrate my point there as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted