1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joey Votto story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He plays for the Reds, grew up in our neighbourhood and was friends my with my three boys. They played baseball at the local school and road hockey at the tennis courts.

His dad died last August--he was only 52--and it was so difficult for Joey that not only did he have serious depression, he checked himself into the hospital twice because of panic attacks.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/article/655653

"I wish I hadn't lost my father so young," Votto said. "I'm the oldest brother. I feel like I'm responsible for my family now. Maybe I have a proclivity for depression or anxiety, whatever it is, but I have dealt with, for me, abnormal circumstances being a major league ballplayer, a young ballplayer and also dealing with my father and my family."

He has three younger brothers. The eldest is around 15 and there are 9 year old twins.

His mom Wendy is a sommelier at one of Toronto's best Italian restaurants.

He's a good kid and it took some guts to talk about this publicly.

Jays beat the Reds tonight 8-2 in interleague play

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Good story and a sad story at the same time. Good for him opening up though. In this day and age you'd think people would do that more often, but I guess it's still somewhat taboo especially for someone in the public eye.

Wish him nothing but success.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

JR, tell Joey I'm a REALLY good listener. :)

Seriously, I'm glad he seems to have done something to handle the grief and pressure. I hope he continues to overcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted