1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joey Porter to the Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Same thing they were saying about Rosevelt Colvin four years ago.

Joey Porter with purely one-on-one pass blocking against him could dominate.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are seriously underestimating Porter. He's a complete linebacker and a more explosive athlete than Thomas. I'd say they are pretty even talent-wise, but Porter has been a leader on a Super Bowl championship team.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joey Porter is an excellent pass rusher. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. And I am not trying to detract from his game.

But Joey Porter couldn't play in a 4-3 as anything but a situational pass rusher. You could not only find a place for Adalius Thomas in a 4-3, you could almost play him anywhere from defensive end to strong safety and he'd stand out.

4. The Big Ragu

By the way, since we're on Patriots signings... They traded for Wes Welker. Given what they gave up, I'd say we can put the Randy Moss talk to a rest.

5. The Big Ragu

I'm not talking about them as athletes--although Thomas is a pretty good athlete. I'm talking about them as football players. And Porter isn't a complete linebacker. You can't put him anywhere, except on the edge, on a very specific defense. The irony of the "complete linebacker" characterization is that he's not just a pass rusher, he's kind of a one-dimensional pass rusher. All he does is speed rush. Not saying he shouldn't. He's fairly unstoppable at it. But you have serious problems if you give him a third of the field and tell him to drop into coverage.

6. Porter and Taylor are right-side pass rushers, I'd say the NFL's Defensive MVP is likely to be moving to the left OLB spot.

7. outofplace

That's where you have the guy completely misjudged. Porter is very good in pass coverage. For a few years, he was even the team's middle linebacker on passing downs. He's also a tremendous run defender. Porter could definitely play outside in a 4-3.

Trust me. I've seen just about every game of the guy's career and I've seen him develop from a one-dimensional pass rusher into a complete linebacker.

I'll give you one thing, though. His only pass rush move is to go outside and use his speed.

8. The Big Ragu

We're going to have to agree to disagree. There aren't a ton of people who would project him to do anything in a 4-3. It would be a disaster, if you ask me. He is SOOOOO situational. They put him at middle linebacker in their dime package for a short time, but this had nothing to do with him being a complete player. They needed one linebacker in there (well, a linebacker not playing defensive end) and if it was a choice between Kendrell Bell and Joey Porter (I didn't live and die with the early 2000s Steelers, so correct me if I am wrong about the options they were looking at; I just remember it being an ugly set of options), they were going with Porter, not because you really wanted him covering anyone, but because Bell in coverage made Porter look like Champ Bailey. Also, didn't they use him as a threat to do anything but drop into coverage, and leave the real coverage up to the DBs in the game? The Steelers never seemed to have any great options for those nickel and dime packages, but didn't they eventually realize how unsuited Porter was to this role, and give it to James Farrior (who wasn't half bad) and move Porter back where he belongs, rushing off the edge?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I think for someone coming off a sub-par season, this deal is for too many years and for too much money.

10. outofplace

Actually, they moved him back from the middle because they didn't like using their best pass rusher in coverage. And this past year, it was Foote, not Farrior in the Mike spot in the nickel and dime packages.

Now Bell, he was useless on a passing down unless he was rushing the passer. Plus, he was lousy coming off the edge anyway.

I don't know how you call a player who has moved around and played different roles and NEVER came off the field once he became a starter "situational."

Is he better in a 3-4? Sure. It features his skills better. But he can play outside in a 4-3 just as easily. I think he'll end up playing some of both with Miami. As somebody said earlier, they use both and they aren't paying Porter all that money to be "situational."

I agree with markvid, though... way too much money.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Believe me, I'm not saying that he's not going to help the Dolphins, just given his last season and the cap era, this might be a very risky deal.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sack totals should spike a little.

Draft saved Draft deleted