1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joey Belle has nothing on this guy.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

BATAVIA, Ohio (April 27) -- A jury convicted a man of murder for shooting a teenage neighbor who walked on his obsessively maintained lawn.

The jury in southern Ohio deliberated less than four hours Thursday before finding Charles Martin , 67, guilty of murder. Martin was tried on a charge of aggravated murder, but jurors convicted him on the lesser count of murder because they could not agree the killing was planned.

The defense did not dispute that Martin shot 15-year-old Larry Mugrage Jr. after he stepped on the lawn Martin meticulously cared for, mowing it as many as five times a week.

-------------------

The kid was shot twice by a shotgun. How could it not have been premeditated?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is it good for your lawn to mow it five times a week?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment

[​IMG]

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Charles Martin will get his ass mowed in prison about five times a week.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even if it was, it wouldn't be worth it.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Greens at a golf course are mowed every day. As long as you don't scalp it, it's ok.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wherever he is -- and I'm sure it's thousands of miles from Batavia, Ohio -- Kevin Brown is laughing.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How would shooting twice indicate premeditation?

(sorry I'm late to this one. Catching up on this weekend's SportsJournalists.com action right now.)

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it's not tough to see the argument the man's defense lawyer used: my guy was enraged, this poor victim set him into a frenzy, which isn't an excuse and we don't really expect an acquittal but it wasn't premeditated so please spare my client the death penalty.

too bad. i think if we have the death penalty it's made for cases like this where lack of coherent thought by a seemingly intelligent and normal person causes the death of another.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I bet that lawn of his is full of weeds right now.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Someone should take pictures of it and send them to him in prison periodically.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guy kills himself in prison:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/20334874/detail.html

Draft saved Draft deleted