1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JoePa, you make piss, at least comparatively

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

If this is a d_b, blow me.

BC-FBC--Paterno-Salary, 5th Ld-Writethru,0719
    Penn State coach Joe Paterno’s salary — more than $500,000 — finally revealed
    Eds: INSERTS new grafs 8-9 to ADD comment from Paterno about future.
    AP Photo PACK107
    By MARTHA RAFFAELE
    Associated Press Writer

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Joe Paterno’s salary is no longer one of the most closely guarded secrets in college sports. The Penn State coach will earn more than $500,000 this year.
    The State Employees’ Retirement System released Paterno’s salary Thursday, more than a week after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that his salary and those of other top Penn State officials are public information.
    Paterno was paid $427,220 in the first 10 months of 2007 — putting his year-end salary on track to be $512,664. He was paid $490,638 last year, according to the retirement system.
    “I’m paid well. I’m not overpaid,” Paterno said earlier in the day, during an interview with reporters about his upcoming College Football Hall of Fame induction. “I got all the money I need.”
    But it’s not even close to what some other big-name coaches are making. Alabama’s Nick Saban is the highest paid coach at $4 million per year, while Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops makes over $3 million. Ohio State’s Jim Tressel, Florida’s Urban Meyer and South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier make upward of $2 million annually.
    Many coaches receive substantial bonuses or outside income, but the retirement system data did not show other forms of compensation.
    Paterno said Thursday he makes more money than is reflected in the retirement system’s figures, but didn’t specify how much.
    He has no immediate plans to dip into his pension anytime soon. While Paterno acknowledges the end of his career is near, he said he still tells recruits that he could go another “three, four, five years” if his health allows, and that “all the positive things here will still be here when I leave.”
    Paterno, who turns 81 on Dec. 21, is under contract through next season. He’s already looking forward to 2008, when he said Penn State might be “in the the thick of things” for a national championship.
    The disclosure of Paterno’s salary was forced by The Patriot News in Harrisburg, which asked the retirement system nearly five years ago to release the salaries of Paterno and three other school officials.
    Penn State, which had refused to make the information public, also opposed the release by the retirement system on the grounds that it would be unfair to the affected employees and might hurt morale or make it more difficult to recruit and retain talent.
    The legal wrangling ended last week, when the state Supreme Court upheld a lower court order to release the information. The justices said the lower court properly balanced the public’s right against the effects the disclosure might have on reputations and personal security.
    Paterno has been head coach for 42 years, a record for major college football. He holds records for bowl appearances (33) and postseason wins (22). His 371 total victories put him two behind Florida State’s Bobby Bowden for most among major college coaches.
    A 2006 comparison by USA Today showed that Big Ten coaches’ salaries ranged from $231,000 at Purdue to $2.8 million at Iowa.
    The retirement system disclosed Paterno’s salary after receiving a formal notice from Penn State that officials would not appeal the high court’s ruling.
    “We still feel the same way we felt previously — employees have a fundamental right to confidential financial information,” Penn State spokesman Bill Mahon said. “It’s unfortunate that thousands of them no longer have that confidentiality.”
    Paterno said his first contract for head coach in 1966 was for $20,000.
    “It bothers me that people have to know what I make,” he told reporters. “What difference does it make what I make, all right? I don’t know what you guys make.”
    ———

Associated Press writer Genaro Armas contributed to this report from State College, Pa.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Paterno makes piss compared to whom?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

"But it’s not even close to what some other big-name coaches are making. Alabama’s Nick Saban is the highest paid coach at $4 million per year, while Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops makes over $3 million. Ohio State’s Jim Tressel, Florida’s Urban Meyer and South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier make upward of $2 million annually."

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Someone tell Bill Mahon that state employees do not have the right of confidentiality. All part of being employed by the taxpayers. Tough shit. If the President's income and tax return is made public, so should it be for a freaking football coach at a public school.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Overpaid.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So that's how much he makes from the school itself. How much does the PSU athletic foundation pay him?

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Exactly. Many big time coaches are only paid fraction of their full salary from state funds/the school itself.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

He's old.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

He makes at least triple that with all the speaking engagements, radio shows, radio commercials he does. Add in the cut he gets from big name companies like Pepsi and Nike that are everywhere to be found in State College and Joe and Sue Paterno live quite nicely.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

See, Clever, there was this story a couple years ago where R. Kelly, well, there was a video tape of himself and a young girl, and there was apparently some bodily fluid, and, well ... I guess you had to be there.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

He's gotta make million, million-five with all of his other stuff.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'd say at least $2 million. He does a ton of speaking engagements and alumni dinners. Lots of sponsorship money floating around at PSU, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted