1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JoePa being shown the door at PSU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You want Penn State to fire Joe Pa?

Fat chance of THAT ever happening.

That's probably what it would take for Paterno to leave. I think he's earned the right to decide for himself when it's time. If he strung together a bunch of 1-11 seasons, then it should be out of his hands. But he hasn't done that.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Joe can decide to leave whenever he likes, whether it be next year or the year after or tomorrow or a decade from now or whenever the hell. What should be annoying to every PSU fan/alum is this man's complete stubbornness in regards to developing a plan for succeeding him, similar to Bowden naming Jimbo Fisher. How hard is it for them to say, "look, Paterno's staying as long as he likes, but we would like to announce that Tom Bradley/Jay Paterno/Your Mother/Whomever will be succeeding Joe when he does step down...whenever the hell that is."

The only possible snags that I can think of is (1) Joe's being stubborn, living in denial about this "I have a lot of energy left" shit (spare us, Joe. My grandmother had a lot of life left at 80. We buried her two weeks ago at 81. Shit can change in an instant at your age) or (2) he is doing his damndest to get JayPa the job and the administration isn't budging.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think the problem is Joe refusing to develop a plan. I don't think it's that at all.

The sticking point is that he's playing hard ball with Spanier and Curley about WHO'S in the plan. Specifically, he's trying to ensure that Tom Bradley is the next guy, and JayPa has some role. And the other guys want the autonomy to conduct a nationwide search.

4. chester

chester Member

For those Penn State folks on the board, if it were to be a nationwide search - which is absolutely should be - who would you want to see be the next coach? Ferentz, Schiano, somebody else?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Personally, I think Schiano would be high on the list.

The bloom is off Kirk Ferentz's rose.

And then I'm left with the uncomfortable task of trying to think of college head coaches who try to do things the right way.

6. chester

chester Member

I personally think Schiano would do an absolutely great job at Penn State. He'd help it get that New Jersey talent pipeline it always seemed to have back, plus, I think he would be able to do a better job recruiting nationwide at Penn State than he would at Rutgers.

I mean, he won at Rutgers for pete's sake. Imagine what he would be able to do at a place which actually has a football tradition.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they won't have to fire Joe. They can simply choose not to renew his contract after its up following the '08 season.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Personally I like Al Golden if they choose to go with someone not already on staff. If they go that way, I say Tom Bradley as HC and Larry Johnson as DC. That's the way I'm hoping it goes. And no more JayPa. Stick him somewhere where he's not allowed to tell reporters about his "Spread HD." Doof.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A doddering old fuck who outlived his prime and needs to let go for the good of the program he helped build but won't because his ego won't let him?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

sadly, I think this will get worse before it gets better. The difference between Bear Bryant and Joe is, when Bama started to slip, Bear said, "I figured out some of the problems are and it starts with me," and stepped aside. Joe, when thing began to slip, tossed out a bunch of defiant rhetoric about being a couple of plays away and being a bit out of whack and blah blah blah.

As much as I dislike Joe and some of the BS aura that surrounds him, I'd hate for his legacy to be tarnished by being a stubborn old man who wouldn't go away. I mean, the kids who are seniors now weren't even BORN the last time Penn State won a national title. To this generation, shit like that is like telling them about the Mesozoic Era.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Joe might run into the door, or walk through the wrong door. They better speak clearly and show him the directions.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Even Bowden has anointed a successor. Might not be until 2040, but he;s done it.

Draft saved Draft deleted