1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JoePa being shown the door at PSU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Er ... poorly phrased. He's earned the right to coach there until he dies.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I think its more about PSU missing on the the top recruits in PA over the last 10 or so years. Pryor was never going to come to Penn State. He pretty much said that when he announced the other day. That said, PSU fans were still holding out hope he would change his mind.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I don't think it's so much that they're unwiling to give him an extension. The problem is, and this is how I believe it to be, the university wants to have a national search for a coach after JoePa is done and he wants a succession plan in place. That would help with recruiting. I keep saying a two-year extension is ideal b/c it gives JoePa 60 years at the school and 45 as head coach and a chance to beat Bowden for the all-time wins record in major college football. Whether that happens or not will depend on how the school wants to choose its next coach.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was why I thought using Pryor as the lead was odd. Penn State never had a shot at getting him.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're following the Michael Adams playbook to me.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps. But then again, he also needs to be nudged to the door.
    His programs have been inconsistent at best in the last 10 years -- a few highs, a few lows and on the whole very average. Other teams can use his age for negative recruiting... If PSU wants to move on he needs to move out.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My theory is that JoePa and Bobby Bowden are afraid to retire because they think they'll wind up like Bear Bryant and be dead a few months later...

Both have earned the right to retire when they're good and ready...

8. You're not far off the mark.
    Paterno has made remarks to that effect in the past. Don't know about Bowden.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Neither one wants to be the first to retire either. They both want the record.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Earned the right? I understand they are institutions at their schools, yada, yada, yada, but they're still just football coaches. All good things come to an end and as difficult as it will be when Paterno and Bowden do leave, it's GOING to happen. And why wouldn't Penn State be at least consider looking for a new coach when you have a head coach as old as JoePa is?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well that's pretty much true for anyone who works in a high-stress job until they're in their 80s, isn't it?

Again, it goes back to, 'Who is running the university, the president or the football coach?' If Truman can stand up to McArthur, that slimeball Graham Spanier or whoever is in charge at PSU should be able to ease Paterno out.

12. Spanier is NO Truman and MacArthur is NO Paterno.
    Paterno would never have abandoned the Philippines. JoePa would have singlehandedly beaten the Japs - unless they were wearing Michigan jerseys.

Hell, Paterno would make Chuck Norris quiver with both fear and envy. Fear and envy.

Draft saved Draft deleted