1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joel Sherman - Slump Buster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clearly you have not been in NY the past month hearing what a big deal 600 was.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But you said he, the writer, was fawning. I didn't get that when I read the story.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure. They're the kind of questions you can ask if you want to a) sound like a tough guy in front of your peers; b) you don't mind shutting down the conversation, and c) you don't mind the guy never speaking to you again.

Probably not smart for the NY Post's top baseball writer to kill his relationship with arguably the best all-around player in the game, though.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've been here, but I haven't sensed much hype surrounding A-Rod's methodical march to 600. It seemed very anti-climactic, as much b/c of the player pursuing the mark as the devaluation of the mark.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

As for the piece, I thought it was fine and suitable for whichever medium Sherman chose, but I got a chuckle out of just how foolish A-Rod continues to sound. I'm not sure what's funnier, that a world-class athlete had a conversation with a reporter on his mind as he walked to home plate, or that A-Rod used it as a chance to name-drop Gretzky. Ahh A-Rod. Thanks for everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted