1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joel Sherman - Slump Buster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Let me say first that I really like the work that Joel Sherman does in covering The Yankees but was more than taken back by this story.

Joel is taking a bit of the credit for getting A Rod out of his slump.

Just never seems to work when writers make themselves part of story.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/pregame_chat_puts_in_perspective_rFrKZjPlkaNSF0OU5zzArN

“You are my good luck charm,” he said, noting that he had not homered since the last Yankees game I had covered, staying stuck at No. 599.

It was a light moment, but I followed A-Rod to the indoor batting cage, the only reporter who was getting time with Rodriguez before yesterday’s game against the Blue Jays. It was obvious to anyone who had watched recently that Rodriguez was pressing for No. 600. I almost always stay out of such things. Not my business. I am here to cover these events, not be part of them. But I had written a personal story earlier in the day on my blog and figured since it was public "anyway that I would share it with A-Rod."

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Story would be fine for a blog, not an article.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Don't have a problem with it.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Should've brought Lady Gaga back in the clubhouse before the Tampa Bay series.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bill Madden must have been driving Yogi to Pathmark.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Joel is one of the best reporters in NYC and has great sense of perspective. This is one of those rare occasions when I think it's OK for a columnist to interject himself into a story. By referencing their pre-game conversation in the press conference, A-Rod was acknowledging that Joel's thoughts had helped put him in a different frame of mind. I enjoyed the piece and it doesn't matter whether it was a column or a blog.

7. Boom_70

It was an interesting story but I guess for me one I would not have expected from Joel. It had a Peter King like quality to it.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying. The part that disturbed me most was where he says A-Rod spotted him at the door talking to (fellow big-timers?) Michael Kay and Jack Curry.

But Joel doesn't do this on a regular basis like King, and he's truly one of the best in the business, so I'll give him a pass.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I didn't write this, but my former boss did ... a long, long time ago.
    I covered a few games for this high school baseball team. They had a stretch where they won three games in a row in the final at-bat.
    The next game, my boss went to cover it and I went to cover another school. The game I covered ended pretty fast and I had to drive right by the first school on the way back to the office. So I stopped by.
    They're losing, my boss said, "You told me they were good and they stink." I started laughing and said, "I think they're going to pull it out." Just then, the coach sees me and said, " 'bout time you got here, you're our good-luck charm."
    Well, they score three in the bottom of the last inning and pull out the victory. The boss writes about me being their good-luck charm, yada yada yada. I thought it was pretty ridiculous, but the people at the school liked it.

10. JackReacher

It's a once-in-a-career kinda story. Nothing wrong with that. At all.

11. Boom_70

Yes but he is fawning over a known cheater.

What about questions like do you feel that your achievement should be discounted by the fact that you took PED's for about half your HR's.

How about something like 600 does not really mean anything because in real numbers you should have about 400.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

Meh. Who gives a shit?

And he was fawning? Really?

Draft saved Draft deleted