1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joel Osteen victim of elaborate internet hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would be a nice guy, too, if folks were handing over millions of dollars for me to spend as I wished.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think one thing should be made clear - Osteen does not take a salary from the ministry or the church. He is paid by his book deals and things of the such.

Not that it makes me like him any more -- he is mostly full of hot air and bullshit - but I do at least respect that while a lot of people may be getting rich out of the collection plate, he isn't one of them.

3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

ah yeah, anyone who has a positive message is hot air......let's see, some don't like Christians who condemn, and now we're blasting one for being an encourager....

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Sorry - Joel Osteen is the worst kind of preacher - he waters down the message so much so that he never offends anyone and gives people a bunch of feel-good smoke up their ass.

You know what - Christian preachers are SUPPOSED to be polarizing, they are supposed to be drawing a line in the sand and they are supposed to preach a message of fire and brimstone.

Those that don't are weak and hypocritical.

If you are not a Christian, or you are living a sinful life, you are SUPPOSED to cringe when a preacher talks about heaven and hell.

And the same goes for Muslim preachers and any other religion where the "good book" makes it clear you are either "with us or not with us".

There is no gray area in the bible in terms of salvation.

I know there are a bunch of weak, soft, hypocritical preachers who want to sing Kumbay-yah and tell everyone they are really trying their best so it is OK, but they are the problem as they are watering down and Americanizing a message that isn't supposed to be all-inclusive

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bullcrap. Holy books have been interpreted and reinterpreted in thousands of different ways over the centuries. Catholics, Baptists and Jews interpret the same words differently. It's practically nothing but gray area.

6. See, this illustrates why I actually have a sort of sympathy for Osteen, despite the fact that he bathes in 100-dollar bills each night.

He takes it from both sides. The fundies can't stand him.

7. dog eat dog world

You'd think the left in here would love him because of that. He just hasn't gone far enough, that is, embracing their politics.

8. dog eat dog world

Well, whrn
    Most of those divisions aren't scripture-based but politically motivated. Anyone can use the Bible for that.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Ragu, you missed your calling. Testify!

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The differences between Catholicism, Protestantism and Judaism are political? Not scriptural?

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Did he spend all his money petitoning the FCC to save Touched by an Angel because Madalyn Murray O'Hare was threatening to have them cancel it on behalf of atheists? Because he really should have contacted Prodigy about getting spam like that.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not to mention the differences between Methodists and Southern Baptists and Free Will Baptists and the Church of Christ and the snake handlers.

Draft saved Draft deleted