1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Torre's final day(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 7, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

There are 7 million reasons per year why Torre subjected himself to all the crap.
    That contract is about to expire. There is no new contract on the horizon. Wether Joe announces it first or George (Cashman/Lon Trost/Randy Levine/Howard Rubinstein) announces it first, tonight or tomorrow is Torre's last game as Yankees manager.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There is no manager in the major leagues that doesn't get criticized for bullpen handling. If that's enough to get Torre fired, then I guess so be it. It's Steinbrenner's team, and he can and does do whatever the hell he wants with it. All I know is, until this year, Torre has never finished other than first in the division. No Yankees fan wants to acknowledge it, but the postseason is an absolute crapshoot. You just can't make world championships automatic, no matter how much money you spend.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think if the Yanks lose, Torre's gone, but more because he's ready to be gone.

I hope he doesn't retire. I sort of think he could go to the Pirates and start fresh again, no expectations, and build build build another dynasty.

4. Songbird - Pirates GM Neal Huntington is looking for a young guy, someone who is passionate, a tireless teacher. I'm not sure anyone can put those labels next to Joe Torre.

5. Songbird

Are players going to run through walls for a young teacher compared with a 4-time champion?

How old was the Marlins' skipper (70'ish?) when they won a few years ago?

That rah-rah enthusiasm isn't the end-all be-all of coaching.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Xan:
    Players are not going to run through walls for anyone any more...hell, you're lucky if you can get them to run out a ground ball.

I do not see Torre as a teacher of a young team any more. He would not be a good fit in Pittsburgh.

7. Songbird

Point taken. I just hope Torre doesn't fade away, unless he wants to.

He needs the game, like the game needs him.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think he takes at least a year off and maybe even reitres for good.

He's 67, has a younger wife, a 12- or 13-year-old daughter and sure as hell does not need the money.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Jack McKeon....smoked cigars in between innings in the clubhouse.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

spnited: Who would you rather have as the manager of the Yankees?

Don Mattingly or Joe Girardi?

I always thought Girardi was being groomed for it.

I know the Cubs job was Girardis' if he wanted it, but he turned it down.

Was he just waiting for Torre to leave?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

As a Mets fan, Chef, I'll gladly give them Willie Randolph.

12. Songbird

Jim Tracy in the Bronx?

Draft saved Draft deleted