1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Thomas says "No" to NFL Commissioner and won't attend draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Circle gets the square. You probably will never see it happen again.

I mentioned the Steelers because it shows just how important the draft itself is. Do the players need to be there? No. But the Jets fans HAVE to be there. The montage of Jets picks over the years is priceless. "And with the 13th pick in the draft, they Jets select (a hushed Johnny Mitchell)... Jeff Lagemen, linebacker Virginia." I know I screwed that up a little. I do not have the time right now to look it up, but man do I love those Jets fans on draft day.

On the Steelers... once again I may be messing this up. In 1976 Bradshaw was thrown on his head by the pathetic Browns and Mike Kruczek had to be the starting QB. In his perfect 6-0 run as a QB, the Steeler D gave up nine points in the six games. That was unreal. Talk about stepping up.

On the NFL network they do those shows where the players talk about their history, Joe Greene, (The Great Joe Green) said "we didn't win anything before Franco and we didn't win anything after Franco." Wow. I guess the RBs were the push that put them over the top.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But do you know which of the 70s teams it was?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sure, it was 1979 because Jim Mandich left the team.

I would be a God if I knew Mandich off the top of my head. I had to look him up to be sure.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If only I got a prize for this. Let the record show that listening to Steve Sabol sometimes pays off with Super Bowl trivia.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Am I the only one who finds this refreshing? Good for Thomas... Would you rather be surrounded by loved ones or hundreds of cameras that show your expression every time you're not picked?

Maybe he saw what a jackass Matt Leinart looked like last year when they showed him strutting around catwalk style in between breaks as he slid to 10th.

Maybe he saw Vernon Davis sob like a little bitch after he was drafted last year...

I think it's great that he's not going. He doesn't owe anyone anything...

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

it should be no issue. good for the kid, if fishing with his dad is more important than a trip to n.y. and believe me, no one is more understanding of this than commissioner goodell, who lost his own dad when he was 13 or so.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree with you Mizzou.....good for Thomas! He'll have plenty of time in the future to represent the NFL and all that goes with it, but fathers aren't here forever.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I like the guy already... I just hope for his sake he doesn't go to Detroit...

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Sometimes your job responsibilities take precedence over your fun time with your family. That is how it is in the real world. I don't know if being not being there is right or wrong, but I don't think it is wrong of the NFL to expect a kid who they are about to make a millionaire to show up and promote the league during one of its marquee offseason events.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Good for Thomas. The NFL doesn't own him yet. I've got no problem with him choosing to go fishing with Dad instead.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fan of the NFL draft than me and I'll likely spend all day next Saturday in front the TV watching it. But I'd give my right arm to spend that day with my dad. Good for Joe Thomas.

12. Mizzougrad96

Every year one guys sits it out for whatever reason... I don't think AJ Hawk was there last year, but the rest of the top six were...

Draft saved Draft deleted