1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Thomas says "No" to NFL Commissioner and won't attend draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just can't imagine that anyone is arguing that he needs to be there. Only ones I can see being put out are the reporters who may have trouble reaching him on draft day.

Fans can go jump in a lake. Just don't scare the fish.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It adds nothing to my viewing pleasure to see a player, wearing a suit he pulled off the rack and doesn't fit, walk and smile for a photo. Nor do I care to hear his response when a microphone is put in front of him and the interviewer can't come up with anything better than, "Well, how does it feel?"

I'm with the go-fishing crowd.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love it. Can't wait to buy a Joe Thomas jersey. The NFL does not own him.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Family comes first, especially over the NFL. End of debate.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Better yet, I hope he doesn't even take his cell phone with him. I'd love for him to get home five hours after the draft has started and then he finds out which team took him. I hope he catches the biggest damn fish in history.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I am 99 percent sure it was the 1978 Steelers, which was also probably their best team. The really amazing thing about those teams is that most of their core players were on all four championship teams, though their roles changed. Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Franco Harris, Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, L.C. Greenwood and Joe Greene were among a fairly large group of players that played for all four.

Yes, I am contributing to yet another Steelers-related threadjack. But it's more interesting to me than this particular controversy. It's definitely overblown.

7. outofplace

That would screw the beat guys covering the team that takes him. Tell the NFL to go to hell, fine, but let's take care of our own (in the media) here!

8. boots

boots New Member

Fuck the No Fun League. The time spent bonding with his father is immeasureable. Why go through all of that draft day bullshit. He's going to get drafted. He's going to make money. He's not going to have his dad forever. Good for him.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm 99 percent sure you're wrong, because I believe it was the 1979 Steelers.

And what was probably the Steelers' best team didn't even win a Super Bowl -- the 1976 version, who outscored opponents 234-28 in its final nine regular season games. The defensive stats are that much better if you toss a 32-16 home victory against Houston in that span -- only 12 points allowed in the other eight games, including five shutouts. It's just too bad that both Harris and Bleier got hurt in the playoffs and couldn't play the AFC title game against the Raiders. Injuries caught up to them.

10. cortez

cortez Member

I betcha David Stern wouldn't take no for an answer

11. outofplace

Could've been '79. That's why I said 99 percent.

And I've heard all about how great that '76 was team, too. But they didn't win the Super Bowl. Yes, they had injuries, but the Raiders kicked their asses in that playoff game. In my mind, that means they were not the best of the Pittsburgh teams in the '70s.

Not to mention the fact that the '78 and '79 teams could win in the air if Harris or Bleier were hurt or unproductive, something the '76 team couldn't do.

Based on regular-season statistics, the 2004 Steelers were better than the 2005 version. Not only were they 15-1, they beat the crap out of the Patriots and Eagles in mid-season. Both games were dominating performances. But they didn't win it all. The 2005 team did.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Go fishing.

There is no need to be there, and its nice to see a kid intelligent enough to know that.

Draft saved Draft deleted