1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Thomas says "No" to NFL Commissioner and won't attend draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And No. 1A would be any college's spring football game.

They're just good excuses to tailgate/drink in the middle of the spring.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. No problem with him upholding family tradition. Just as no NFL team owes it to Thomas to draft him, he doesn't owe the NFL an appearance when you know he would be thinking about that fishing trip all day.

And yes, this story is overblown.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is overhyped, but it is by far the most important draft in all of professional sports.

You cannot have an "empty" draft and expect to compete in the playoffs 2-3 years down the road. You must get 2-3 starters out of every draft at the minimum.

Look at the Colts: Harrison, Wayne, Petyon, Addai and the list goes on. They were all drafted by the Colts. I know it is overhyped, but it is still a very, very important day for NFL teams and their fans.

That said, I love that he is going fishing. It's a lot better that seeing his entourage (I'm guessing he does not even have one) all dressed up in new, tacky clothes.

Can anyone name the last NFL team to win a Super Bowl with a team consisting totally of self-drafted players? Not one player who wore the team's uniform at the Super Bowl had ever worn another team's jersey.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Agreed, Thomas can take a page from the NFL's playbook however and ask for an appearance fee.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

ESPN can't broadcast baseball games but we can get 24/7 coverage of Mel Kiper on the couch. I wanna chuck my TV out the window every time I see his hairness.

National signing day is almost as bad, BTW. Almost.

Good for Thomas. As has been noted, he's not been paid a dime yet by the NFL. Why should he be beholden to Goodell?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would go fishing every time.

But I wonder how coaches feel about having such an "independent thinker"/potential clubhouse lawyer on the team with that fifth pick.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What Hendry said.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Considering the NFL's current image problems and its dealings with Pacman Jones and Chris Henry, you'd think the league would find it refreshing that one of its top-five picks is going fishing with his father on draft day and keeping some family tradition alive.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

93 Devil -- I think I saw a trivia question about the last team completely built through the draft and if I'm not mistaken it was one of those 1970's Steelers teams, maybe like 1976 ot 78.

That's a great question though.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is the correct answer.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well said, grampy...

The NFL will have enough time to dominate and consume his life... it's one of the last chances to be a person.
    And being on site has developed into a draft day tradition of the wrong kind... watch some kid sit and sweat as he drops from 1st to second to third round....

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saves everyone from looking at another guy in a bad suit, and saves us from the ridiculous photos of the draftee holding up a uniform wearing a cap. Until he signs, he doesn't owe the NFL anything.

Good for him. Sounds like a nice tradition with his pops. But they better not tell anyone where their fishing hole is or they'll be 15-20 reporters and people with minicams hounding them all day.

Draft saved Draft deleted