1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Strummer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 22, 2009.

1. He passed away seven years ago to the day

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is that the guy that replaced Shane in the Pogues?

Actually, I was so upset when he died shortly before the RRHoF induction of the Clash. I could have gotten tickets and was so hoping for a reunited Clash performance.

The tribute they did at the 2003 Grammys was pretty sweet:

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just watched that YF. Dave Grohl worked, but other than him, I can't think of a worse group to try to channel the Clash. Well, maybe if they had added the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish. Admittedly, I am not much of a Springsteen fan (and I'd shoot Little Stevie and put us out of the misery), but I am an Elvis Costello fan -- when he's being Elvis Costello.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lots of similar comments on the YouTube page.

The Grammys are never going to put on a bunch of punk rockers who were inspired by the Clash.

I guess I was just impressed that they chose to honor him and that folks like Springsteen wanted to take part.

I thought it sounded pretty good, but I get what you are saying.

And I love Elvis Costello too. Yeah, he does a lot of weird shit, but the guy's a genius.
  5. I think they did a good job with the cover but where were the other members of the Clash? Dave Grohl and the Mescalaros would have worked just as well for me.
  6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

Man, Joe Strummer was awesome. I saw the Clash in concert once, and he had an orange mohawk.
Draft saved Draft deleted