1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Scarborough: "Daily Show" damaging democracy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I smell a trick here. No one, and I mean no one, gives a crap about Geraldo, especially anyone under 30, but when Geraldo pulled this crap on the O'Reilly Factor, saying that Stewart and Colbert showed little old ladies slipping on ice and then laughed at it, and this is what they do with their life, Stewart and Colbert made fun of Geraldo for a few days, and to an audience that could otherwise give a crap, Geraldo probably seemed mildly relevant for a brief moment in time. Joe Scarborough is probably hoping to stir up some controversey by going after two media darlings, and for a brief moment someone might pay attention to Scarborough County for longer than 10 seconds, which is usually borderline impossible.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

DING! We have a winner.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

You don't watch Olbermann? Olbermann is a God! ;D

And NDub, brilliant political minds like yours are always welcome around here.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Scarborough is the worst part of Toronto. They call it "Scarberia."

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Only things worth watching on MSNBC are Matthews and Olbermann.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually just got done watching this. Set the Tivo for the 3 a.m. repeat. It wasn't that bad. The USA Today had an article about the Daily Show generation and the show was just picking up on it.
    A Carolina school also did a study and they talked about it.
    I've been watching the show since it was Kilborn's and it tends to make fun of whomever is in power at the moment.
    Plus, Jo-Jo has been a guest on TDS and I had forgotten that Stewart had called him a "douche bag" during the interview. But Jo-Jo hasn't.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Totally agree. I also have a bit of a crush on Alison Stewart, so I'll watch when she's on.

8. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I watched the first 15 minutes, and that was about all I could stand.

The really humorous thing to me is that Joe asked three times in the 15 minutes if The Daily Show was such an important cultural touchstone that it really deserved a major university doing a study of its impact.

Uh, Joe, you led your own major cable network news show with a panel discussion about The Daily Show. I guess you answered your own question.

Is anyone on his show thinking?

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Scarborough Country features important stuff like lengthy American Idol debates regularly. He's got zero grounds to question anyone's relevance. I do give him credit for being willing to call Bush and the GOP on the carpet sometimes considering he's a former Republican congressman, but most of the time the show is just a trainwreck.

Right after the handoff from Olbermann's show Joe comes on and discusses some of the upcoming topics. Usually it's stuff that Keith did 40 minutes into his show, so it comes off as "Hey America! Want to see the same stuff you just did, only without any wit or insight? Well then, welcome to Scarborough Country!"

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

11. JackS

JackS Member

Scarborough's show has changed a lot just in the past year. It used to bring a serious tone to serious subjects. He was a tremendous advocate in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Now he's trying to replicate Mel Gibson's blood alcohol level and debating the impact of TDS.

I don't think I've ever seen a more dramatic sell-out to try for ratings. The show's a joke.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm not from Toronto.

That said, I would assume it's a better place to visit and live than your hometown, Sphincterville, Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted