1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Posnanski to SI full-time?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And there's another key. Say Poz has a column. They hold it for a Saturday or Monday -- the two worst days for readers, and advertise. They draw those readers back in, even if only for a day or two.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Any word on whether Poz gets the back page slot all to himself? Or maybe (hopefully) he replaces Dan Patrick's drivel?

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My dad called today and asked if I'd be applying for Posnanski's job at the Star.

I tried to explain that if JoPo is Zack Greinke, I'm somewhat like Bruce Chen.

He was having none of it. Good to have a vote of confidence every now and then. And frankly, I'm surprised SI didn't move sooner on him when it decided to pick up his blog.

I'm glad he'll keep a presence at the Star, and I've been beyond spoiled having him write about the teams I follow.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, folks, but Star subscriptions will not change because Posnanski is or isn't writing.
    I realize he is the current God of SJ and he is very good, but readers for the most part aren't giving up any paper because of one guy.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know this has already been mentioned, but if he's not given the old Reilly slot in SI, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I canceled my SI subscription two years ago after having it for 26 straight years. If Poz is doing a weekly column, I might start it up again.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah. They're giving up their papers in spite of a whole bunch of guys and gals who continue to write for them.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If Whitlock and Posnanski disappeared from the KC Star's sports pages, I promise you that a bunch of subscriptions would be canceled.

Quit trying to convince yourself otherwise.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Could be worse. Using that analogy, I'm Chris Waters.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The buzz I'm hearing is Poz will not be the back-page columnist, at least not on a regular basis, but that he will write a lot of the Scorecard essays up front.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm okay with him not getting the backpage slot. I'd rather read a great SI feature than a great SI column, so if he concentrates on those, great.

There are more cuts rumored to be coming to Time. Hopefully SI's not hit hard again.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08072009/business/time_loses_its_accents_183390.htm

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Posnanski already has another column in the Star today. Where's Whitlock?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sidney Ponson in the house!

Draft saved Draft deleted