1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Posnanski to SI full-time?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

This tweet from @JoePosnanski: Weird to be tweeted about. Story is mostly true. I'm leaving for SI. But we're staying in KC and I'll still write for Star. Details to folo.

Didn't see another thread on it, so figured I'd post ...

Story here ...

http://thebiglead.com/?p=16920

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Damn...you beat me to it.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

His column explaining it: http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/1365630.html

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The beancounters are having a celebration tonight because that six-figure salary is off the books.

It's probably only secondary that they lost one of the best writers in the biz.

I'm guessing he won't be replaced.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As great and prominent as he is, is the Star paying him six figures?

Seems like a lot for K.C. (although, admittedly, I know nothing of that market.)

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't imagine how they wouldn't be. I mean, at a paper that size, I'd say low six would be what a columnist would be making.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Good for Joe. He's one of the nicest, most decent guys in the biz. I'm jealous only because he can out-write me 24-7-365. He's a writer, dammit, and a good one.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. 8) 8) 8)

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No question he's a greater writer. But I don't see how any paper can afford a six-figure columnist now. He surely won't be replaced at K.C. and that might save a few jobs.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If he's not making six-figures, they're definitely shelling out that much for the combo of Whitlock at Poz. Now the Star gets the best of both worlds: a Posnanski column without having to pay him.

Poz deserves it though.

11. dkbxt5

dkbxt5 New Member

Great read, as he always is. It took a while for the site to load for me. Must be a lot of traffic wanting to read it.

12. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

He's got something else up on his blog now, too: http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/08/04/yuni-watch-and-yes-my-life/

Just curious--does this mean SI is going to phase someone out to make up for it, or do they have the money to make him full-time without any problems?

Draft saved Draft deleted