1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Posnanski gets his own "longform" website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 15, 2014.

1. AD

AD Active Member

joe pos and paterno is the closest the story of a sportswriter will ever get to greek tragedy. he built his name on writing -- incredibly well -- about love: his love of sports, his love of athletes, his love of the deep and too often unspoken connection between fan and game. it wasn't simmons' oh-so-hip, look-at-me and my stoner/pop culture insights parade; in an insanely cynical age, pos tapped into a need by fans and, yes, sportswriters, to have their intense devotion to a frivolous set of human deeds certified, given permission. the steroids age almost killed that. people embraced joe for helping them to remember why they came to sports in the first place.

so he goes to happy valley to write an adoring portrait of an american hero. that is what he does -- and well. and it turns out instead to be a monster/death beast -- the worst, most disgusting scandal in college football history. and what is his strength -- love -- turns out to be his achilles heel. he can't report well on the seamy side of this thing, because that's not joe, not his soul, not his toolbox.

and that is all revealed, suddenly, to anyone paying attention. the story flipped on him, went from needing a prose-poet to some combination of sy hersh, kitty kelley and hunter thompson. and joe went from being the perfect writer for the subject to the absolute worst.

and then his publisher, i'm sure, is still demanding the book. idiots. he had the last interview with paterno; he should've held them off -- maybe even given back the money -- and published two years later. include all the sandusky horror shit and place paterno in a new context. he could've explained, if nothing else, the paterno loyalists still lying -- to this day -- in wait for their moment of redemption. it could've been a great book. instead, his publisher -- and joe himself, i suspect -- did joe a huge disservice.

i've never seen anything like it. reilly's second act at espn? bissinger's bizarre twitter/fashion meltdown? both are astounding drops. but posnanski's? it's like the gods of writing said, 'this is what you do so well. now you're going to be tortured for it....'

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Strong analysis and I tend to agree.

3. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Joe Posnanski is a first-rate sports reporter. I got to know him well during my years in Kansas City when he was a columnist for the KC Star. He's a great journalist.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Aside from Posnanski, who are the writers on this site? I can't say I have heard of any of them.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

AD just nailed it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... went from needing a prose-poet to some combination of sy hersh, kitty kelley and hunter thompson."

I'd like to see that combination manifest itself.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One of the greatest threads in SportsJournalists.com history was the one about that Paterno book. It got extremely heated at times, but also some tremendous discussion about journalism generally and Posnanski's brand of journalism specifically.

8. Dick Whitman

T.C. Boyle and Tom Perrotta are two that come to mind that keep me turning the pages.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not really. It mostly was redundant dickishness.

10. Dick Whitman

My posts on it were really good.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Posnanski on Bill James.
    http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/bill-james-statistical-revolution/

12. joe

joe Active Member

AD bringing the Double Down. Bravo!

Draft saved Draft deleted