1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Pos on Nick Charles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I suppose. Hadn't thought of that.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Poz add a bit more to the story on his blog:
    http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/03/behind-back-page.html

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

There's an old saying that when all you've got is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Posnanski has a hammer and he nailed this one like he nails almost everything he writes. Yes, the ending might seem abrupt but it was perfect for what and how he wrote that.

Yet another example of SockPuppet reading a great writer and thinking, "Hell, damn, crap ... I wish I could do that."

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In addition to Nick Charles and Fred Hickman on the CNN team, I always thought that Jim Huber was a terrific writer among sports broadcasters. His voice-overs clearly were done with care for the language, in ways I'd rarely seen (heard) to that point in TV sports.

5. Mira

Mira Member

Outstanding piece ... subtle, heart-breaking and great.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Does Poz wear a fedora often?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's great so many of you loved the show Nick & Fred did... so WHY WEREN'T MORE PEOPLE WATCHING?! :(

I worked with Nick for 5 years. I have some great stories and memories. :)

I can't bring myself to read the piece right now. I don't know if I'll ever be able to read it.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hey, we're the wrong ones to answer that question. We were watching. Me and all my peeps were watching.

Then CNN did away with its nightly sports show in a regular time slot.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_charles_fights_the_good_fight032411

Charles will call one of the fights on HBO tonight.

10. Just came across this CNN story about Nick. (I let my SI subscription lapse and so I haven't read the Pos column yet.) If it's anything like this, it will be really dusty in here soon:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/04/06/nick.charles.facing.death/

I have a little girl the same age as Charles' daughter. Though I'm a lot younger than he is, it cuts me up to think of a dad taping goodbye messages for his daughter's 7th, 8th, 9th birthday.

I grew up watching Hick and Nick on CNN. I was a devotee of Sports Tonight and rarely watched SportsCenter back then. (This is ridiculous, but one of the highlights of my childhood sports career was devising a scheme to get on Sports Tonight - not SportsCenter - by putting a paper bag over my head at a meaningless late-season Astros/Mets game. It worked. WOR picked it up and CNN ran a shot of my paper-bagged head before the game highlights.)

Prayers to Nick and his family.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I think we know who's the new Alpha-dog at SI

12. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Had read Pos's story in march. Read the CNN story this morning. Really sad deal. I took loved watching Charles and Hickman. They were a great team.

Draft saved Draft deleted