1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Morgan criticism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 3, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I love you, blarney.

You are the wind beneath my wings.

2. Awww, that was sweet.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Hey, I don't recall Poindexter typing all of that out!

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Somebody take away Boots' quote function.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Morgan was going to come for an hour of questions boots but then he saw your thread about porking your neighbor in the ass and wanted nothing to do with us.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From the last Joe Morgan thread, I knew Boots would be here soon telling us how miserable we are.

7. boots

boots New Member

No, not everyone along here is miserable. But there are many who take this posting crap too far.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Two people who spend a lot of time talking about themselves: Boots and Joe Morgan.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Morgan has been taking a lot of heat from various media outlets.

Boom, do you think there is any chance you can get him back here to try to defend himself?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sadly, a lot of bad ones still do...

And yeah, I remember the episode.. Joe shoulda come here... he'd have had a hoot, reliving old stories like his 3,000th strikeout, 250th save, 100th stolen base in a season, 61st homer...

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd rather hear him tell us how he helped avert the Cuban missile crisis and what it was like to walk on the moon.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have put this up before - still the leader in clubhouse of stories taking Joe out:

Say-It-Ain't-So Joe
    Why does Joe Morgan -- the best second baseman in history and a prominent TV broadcaster -- hate Moneyball? And Billy Beane and his Oakland A's? And you, too, if you think the statistical revolution that's overwhelmed Major League Baseball has any
    By Tommy Craggs
    Published: July 6, 2005
    The earth beneath Joe Morgan's feet is impossibly flat, every bump smoothed over, every blemish manicured into oblivion, all so that a white cork-filled ball might roll straight and true, the way it has for a hundred years. I am standing with Morgan, the ESPN analyst and Hall of Fame second baseman, at the edge of the emerald grass at SBC Park, where in two hours the San Francisco Giants will play the Oakland A's, a game Morgan will explain to America from a booth high above the field. This is his job: to elucidate the game, or, more precisely, The Game, which is what old ballplayers like to call baseball, and which Joe pronounces with infinite reverence and implied capitalization, the way some people say, "The Pope."

"I played The Game," Joe Morgan says. "You're reading it from a book."

From the margin of the field Morgan half-watches the Giants go about their batting practice. There is an easy Sunday rhythm to the proceedings, and the field stretches out before us bright and green, a true American candyland. It's on days like this that baseball -- The Game -- has its best stuff working, the kind of afternoon that has sent workaday newspaper hacks into deadline reveries and inspired every egghead dilettante in a bow tie to get a book deal. None of this is on Joe's mind, however. In fact, he is shaking his head and looking displeased. "You guys are a joke," he is saying, and it occurs to me that Joe Morgan might be thinking about strangling me.

He is a small man -- they called him "Little Joe" in his playing days -- and you can see his 61 years in the gray around his mustache and the slight hitch in his walk, but standing here, fairly gleaming in his ex-jock mufti, Joe looks young, fit, and content. His shoes are fine and tasseled, his suit is a resplendent cream, his jacket is slung insouciantly over his left shoulder -- an iridescent look that falls somewhere between churchgoer and deckhand on the Love Boat. Morgan, who grew up in Oakland and lives in Danville, is the analyst for ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball. In a few hours he will appear on hundreds of thousands of television screens across America. He will have a microphone positioned beneath his chin and an easy, welcoming smile on his face. First-time viewers will think him a pleasant, patient, good-humored man. They will be wrong.

"You're a joke, too," he says to me now, and in a moment his right cheek will start to twitch, and his voice will hit its querulous upper registers, and a few sportswriters will crane their necks and listen in. Joe Morgan -- the greatest second baseman who ever lived and an Emmy-winning analyst who also happens to be the most insufferable sportscaster since Howard Cosell returned to his mother ship -- is angry. And why is Joe Morgan angry? It has something to do with a book Joe Morgan hasn't read.

The rest:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2005-07-06/news/say-it-ain-t-so-joe/

Draft saved Draft deleted