1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Lieberman -- Weasel.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 17, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If I was McCain, I'd decline the endorsement.

The last thing he needs right now in that part of the world is some "Joe-mentum."

Welcome to the political hinterlands, Joe. In 2008, when you don't have a single committee seat, you'll be the most irrelevant senator of all time.

2. Is someone arguing that, had Lieberman not taken all that Republican money in the general election and run on his own vanity, Lamont would have lost to Schlesinger?
    Please.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, Joe torpodoed Lamont, no two ways about it.

Another lesser-of-evils proposition . . . and aren't we tired of those.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've been called worse.

The primary was made into a one-issue race, the war. It was stupid, IMO, to toss a three-term incumbent overboard to make a statement with that vote, a statement that sadly didn't mean squat and wouldn't affect how things played out.

It was cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm not a political heavyweight like some of the others here... I'm a pragmatist. Voting Lieberman out of office would have accomplished what exactly?

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Lieberman is in a unique position in the history of the US Senate. He is bulletproof until January 3, 2009. The Democrats really can't kick him out of their caucus because that gives the power to Dick Chaney. And Lieberman wouldn't vote against things like the minimum wage and union things.

However, on January 4, 2009 with a Democratic president, things turn completely around if the Democrats get control. Lieberman really can't do anything and get reelected. He probably can't win the Democratic primary - don't forget, last time he had the support of all of the official Democrats and that isn't going to happen if 2012. If he changes and votes like a conservative Republican, that isn't going to work in Connecticut or anywhere because that wouldn't just be a flip-flop, that would be a back flip.

Strangely enough, the most logical political thing would be to give Lieberman some sort of appointment in a Democratic administration.

6. Well.
    It would have meant one less vote for most of the Bush Administration's depredations in Iraq and upon the Constitution. It would have meant Carl Levin as chairman of the Homeland Security Committee. It would have meant a working D majority that wasn't held hostage by a dishonest, vengeful twerp. That's three.
    wicked -- what you're missing, I think, is that Lamont wins a one-on-one general election. I don't think there's any doubt about that. All of the problems you cite are a direct result of Lieberman's refusal to abide by the overwhelming rejection of his party.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just because he's a Dem, that doesn't entirely mean that he has to support another Dem.  

Jeezus, we don't need ten new threads of anti-elephant talk, Fen.  You know, you can condense this shit to one thread...

Joe's has his right to endorse whoever in the fuck he wants, so this is a non-issue.  Move along.  

Secondly, all of that Lamont talk is old news. We got the message and we know the history. We don't need to be lectured again through the eyes of Fen.

It's a non-issue. It's like the damn Register endorsing McCain, and Mitt and Huck are the forerunners. It's typical Register-speak for we'll take anyone who don't act like a conservative Republican.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have an idea: Let's combine this thread with the hot stove thread.

I'll give up Lieberman for Chuck Hagel and a congressman to be named later.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe I am missing that. But Lamont seemed like a paper tiger. If Lamont wins the primary and Lieberman doesn't siphon the GOP money, the GOP is in that race to save its majority and would have put plenty of cash behind Schlesinger.

10. No, they don't.
    They told Schlesinger before anything happened on the D side that they were through with him. They couldn't get anyone else -- like Shays -- to run. They would have written that seat off without Lieberman in the final.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

No way would the Republicans have put any money behind Schlesinger, who had no chance to win and was found to be pretty much of a fraud.

12. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Great Caesar's Ghost, those knickers ARE naughty.

Draft saved Draft deleted