1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Lieberman -- Weasel.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Party discipline. Letting Lieberman off scot-free would be a mistake. Even if it's just taking away his committee chairmanship and relegating him to a sub-committee chairmanship, Senate Democratic leadership has to do something. Otherwise they appear weak and powerless and they are inviting future rebellions.

The Republicans would never tolerate an active member of their caucus giving a speech at the Democratic Convention, endorsing and actively campaigning for the Democratic presidential nominee without some sort of punishment. Harry Reid shouldn't either. Now, if the Democrats somehow end up with 58 seats plus Bernie Sanders, then and only then, can Reid justify making a deal with Lieberman to retain his committee assignments and committee chairmanship in exchange for his vote on all future procedural motions.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Good to see Drip did his research before asking.

But on the bright side, I bet all of those losers knew that Africa is a continent.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, back in Clay's time, some pols thought that Africa was a continent for the purpose of bringing in slaves.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's good to see that you know about Africa and that you enjoy copying my posts. Why? I have no idea but it's nice to see.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Not so fast. The Dems may need him to break a filibuster. Get rid of him, and the Republicans welcome him with open arms.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

You make good points, Dan O., but Reid could express the fact that he was ticked off at Lieberman and say that in private. You would still have a guy who would vote with the party 60 to 70 percent of the time.

the Republicans pretty much snubbed Jim Jeffries in 2001 and treated him poorly, and they ended up losing majority control of the Senate for most of that term.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm sorry, but you don't get to trash the Dem. nominee to the RNC and then be a Dem. committee chair.

He can caucus with the Dems, I'm sure, but he ain't chairing anything, unless Reid's dumber than I think.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Word on the street around here is that my congressman John Larson will try and take over for Lieberman in a few years. In the meantime, there's a good chance he'll (Larson) take over Rahm Emanuel's House Caucus Chair.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Benedict, er, Lieberman is in the fight of his political life. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid would love to strip Lieberman's chairmanship of the Homeland Security panel and his caucus membership.
    Lieby backed the wrong horse and now it's time to pay up.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I look back at my previous posts on this thread and just shake my head. Mea culpa.

A link to back up what Drip just said.

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews/hc-ap-liebermanreid-1106,0,3753079.story

Draft saved Draft deleted