1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Kapp, 73 years old, punches out former CFL rival

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 27, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Video of the week

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Joe Kapp has a restaurant in the Bay Area. On the bar in back sits the bottle of tequila he bought when he became Cal coach in 1982, saying he would not drink tequila again until Cal reached the Rose Bowl.

I am going to guess he has found a substitute liquor.

Michael_ Gee and maumann like this.
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Kapp tells his side. Podcast, click play button:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/11/29/joe-kapp-talks-with-dave-lee-on-wcco-radio/

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Could someone translate the podcast for me. No way I can decipher Kapp's thick Canadian accent.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What am I, the fucking archivist? :)

The Grey Cup is still the major single sporting event up here and it still gets record ratings but back in the glory days of the 60's and 70's, the CFL was dominant. Leafs won Stanley Cups as per usual, the Jays didn't exist

The Super Bowl was four years away and no one in Canada cared that much about the NFL. The two leagues competed for players and in some cases players would come up north because they got paid more.

Thing about the hit was: 1) Game was in BC 2) EVERYBODY outside Hamilton hated Angelo Mosca with a friggin' passion 3) Willie Fleming was BC's best player 4) Hamilton won the game.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I'm not fluent, but I'll give it a shot.

"Something something back bacon something something rouge something Moosehead something something Pizza Pizza."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As the oldest Canuckistani here - by far - yes, JR you are the go-to guy on events that happened here before, say, 1970!

The CFL was a really, really big deal here in Toronto as late as 1982 or so. The Jays were improving, but still bottom feeders, Toronto FC and the Raptors didn't exist and the Leafs were suffering through the horror show of the Ballard years.

I would argue that the single biggest annual sporting event here - at the gate and on TV - is the World Junior final, if it is being held in Canada or a US border city and Canada is in it.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agree with you on the WJC but it's a ten day tourney. Was thinking more of a single sporting event i.e. one game.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary to this!

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Canada: We're so gosh-darn polite, unless you insult hockey, curling or the Grey Cup.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That was a hilarious video. I loved it.

Some of those Kapp passes, charging into defenders, the “Joe stinks” sign....it’s awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted