1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Jackson, villain or visionary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've read a lot of stories about Joe Jackson. He was a visionary and a complete piece of shit. He did envision great things for his kids but I wonder if it was for all the wrong reasons--notably, himself.

He beat his kids all the time, he cheated on his wife all the time, he is horrible with his money and continues exploiting whoever he can to keep a lavish lifestyle going that he can no longer afford. When Michael became God-like in the mid-80s, he kept using the family as a ploy to get Michael to go back to singing with his brothers. When that didn't work, he made his wife do it, because he knew Michael wouldn't turn down his mother. What came of it was the Victory tour, more money in Joe's pocket that he ultimately pissed away.

And now, not surprisingly to me, he doesn't seem to mind one bit that his son is dead. Michael cut off Joe long ago and Joe only cares about who can get him money. Now if Janet died, he'd probably be crushed.

Joe played a large part in making the Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson who they ended up being. But it doesn't make him any less of a bad father.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Joe Jackson was a hell of a ball player.

Did he conspire to throw the 1919 World Series? His Series stats speak for themselves.

A definite Hall of Famer, in my book -- What?

We're not talking about THAT Joe Jackson?

Oh.

Um, never mind. ::)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was a villian for throwing the World Series.

He was a visionary for playing a game without shoes.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Night and Day was a visionary album in my opinion.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Slate had a great piece a while back about how the problem with American tennis these days is not enough crazy fathers. Let's face it, talent helps a ton, but the worlds of sports and entertainment are littered with prodigies who did well (and many who didn't) thanks to, and despite, the nuttiness of a stage parent. I'll bet a reason Liza Minnelli was friends with Michael Jackson is because she could see in him what her mother went through (Judy Garland's mom was one of the most notorious stage parents ever, and the Gumm sisters -- a precursor to Judy changing her name -- were a Jacksons of their time), and Elizabeth Taylor was friends with Michael because she was the product of enormous talent and crazy stage parents.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. Probably his best work.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Real Men was a great video. And don't call me a faggot, not unless you are a friend.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I admit it ... I laughed at that.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So who else is Steppin' Out on this thread?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm the man.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, it's just biology

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Michael Jackson: Villain or visionary?

Draft saved Draft deleted