1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Hawk on 9/11: "I did not shed a tear. Not one."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by oj762, Aug 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, Guy, abbott, oj, they all have or will jump on Hawk's nuts for this column.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was referring to the board crew, who will say Joe Hawk clearly is un-American because he didn't shed a tear on 9/11.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd actually be a little surprised if they did. Now if JR or Fen said something like that, maybe.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Joe Hawk has a lot of reasons not to like certain republicans. As do a lot of people...

As a republican, I take no offense whatsoever to his column...

5. paris trout

paris trout Member

This is a great column? God, it's horrid.

His 9/11 is, sadly, appropriate, since he says he cried not only for his dog but Vick's dogs as well.

Of course, I can see where a killer line like "different pet strokes for different pet folks" would cloud judgment enough for someone to declare the column great.

And the ending? Geez, goose bumps.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I think this column was terrible. How can you connect 911 to your dog dying? I didn't cry on 9-11 either. I am old school, and don't cry at everything and am not emotional. I was still dumbstruck and horrified.

Anyhow, I know how dog people feel and I can relate. Vick is a horrible human being. To breed dogs and kill them inhumanely is sub-human. Still, a human life is more valuable than a dog. We put too much human value on dogs and waste incredible resources on these animals. My sisters dog lives a better life than half of africa. That's ridiculous.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

8. paris trout

paris trout Member

Wow. How weird is that?
    The only way it could have been weirder if it was the day after your dog died.

9. How in the world is this a good column? This would have been a mundane column without the 9-11 reference. With the 9-11 reference it is a train wreck.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Humans aren't innocent. Humans let other humans down on an hourly basis. Humans can have a sometimes sickening level of self-importance.

Dogs are loyal, innocent, yet connect with humans in a way that's hard to describe.

I think that's why Vick's digusting actions strike a nerve more than your average murder.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

People already have ripped Hawk because, heaven forbid, he did not bawl like a baby during 9/11. I'm waiting for others to hop on that gravy train.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll put my sj Republican street cred up against anyone. That being said, go read my initial posts and your initial posts. Which side brought politics into this debate?

Draft saved Draft deleted