1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Grimm's not-so-helpful advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Today's Ask the Recruiter on the future of sports writing. Sounds a lot like A_C with his talk of needing vision. Of course he said there is a lot of opportunity for reporters who can do everything. Where? He just spouts off the big sites.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=77&aid=185873

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

As you pick out a route to the future, watch out for potholes that include places with no real business plan, sites with weak, unedited content and those that count on people who will work for little pay. You need to steer around those.

[​IMG]

"Oh no, your industry is all red-flagged and junk."

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Obvious. ::)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's more like these obstacles.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Joe Grimm is a douchebag. That blog offered little to no insight. Ugh. What a waste of space that guy is.

Also, he has terrible hair.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What's he supposed to say? The industry is dead and 90% of you are wasting your time? That makes his job meaningless.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well if he would have told the truth it would have come out like this:

"If you don't end up getting a job because of the changing media industry, know that I probably wouldn't have hired you anyway because you're not a minority"

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I used to get quite a bit out of the "Ask the Recruiter" column but I stopped reading when it became just industry apologism and vague "The Future Is Now!" talk about the Internet that didn't contain any helpful advice on how to realistically navigate the brave new world. I don't know. Maybe it's me. I fully admit I parted ways with the newspaper world with a lot of frustration.

8. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

The "Ask the Recruiter" column is a waste of space. Grimm almost never has helpful information on there. I used to read it sometimes, now it's not worth a minute of my time.

9. esport12

esport12 Member

How is Grimm supposed to give helpful information when he has little -- if any -- experience with new media, internet, etc.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

During my senior year, I attended a j-school career night featuring Joe Grimm. Grimm spoke a bit as did other journalists, and he also critiqued resumes, etc. I spoke with him briefly. He said my resume looked great. Except there was no mention of the fact that I didn't have any new media experience, didn't know HTML, content management or anything in the realm of new journalism.

All talked to me about was highlighting the fact that I took Spanish courses in high school and college.

This was in 2006!

Thanks again, Joe.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Seems to be people are being harsh .... Grimm spent many years representing the Free Press and Knight Ridder as a recruiter. He had no power to hire anyone. He would gather info and report back to headquarters. He was under orders with certain priorities. I think most people found him to be friendly and helpful. What more do you want? It's not like he was charging you for a counseling session.

Draft saved Draft deleted