1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Gibbs' Blunder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It was such a secret that CBS reported it a half hour before kickoff.

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

I heard the game's end on the radio. Jurgensen did first-guess it, Huff had no more clue than Gibbs did.

After the game, Gibbs's first media responsibility is to the radio crew. When he started speaking, I half-expected him to resign. It has been a season full of evidence that Gibbs is disconnected from the team; he even did a new-NASCAR-sponsor press conference early this season from Redskin Park. Now we learn that the Hall of Fame coach didn't know his defense would start the game in a missing-man formation. Worse, we learn that with the game on the line he had to ask an official what he could and couldn't do. To admit that ignorance up-front and immediately to the radio crew is an admirable piece of honesty; it also is an inarguable signal that it's time to do the LBJ/Nixon thing: Quit the job and leave town.

And don't get me started on the Redskins trying three first-quarter passes when it's first-and-goal at the 3.

But then, Gibbs doesn't call plays anymore.

Turns out, apparently, that there's a whole lot he doesn't do.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It should have never come down to that last play when Gibbs used those two TO's back-to-back to freeze the kicker.

Rewind back to about 1:45 left in the game. 'Skins facing a 3rd-and-8, and he chooses to run up the middle, and not take a chance to throw a short pass for a first down. Had he called for a short pass, Washington gets a first down and they could milk the clock out.

They gained 4 on the run play, punted, and Buffalo puts themselves in a position to win, which they did.

For Gibbs not to know that the defense was going to go with the missing man on the first defensive play of the game, is, to me, showing signs of being clueless of what he team actually does. Gibbs no doubt talked to Williams about that after the game.

Pointdexter, back to Hustle's post, I think he meant to say that everyone at Redskins Park had a tough week with what happened to Sean Taylor, but it doesn't excuse the blunders down the stretch that was made to let the Bills win the game.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bigger thief?

Joe Gibbs?

Bobby Bowden?

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

...Or Jason Campbell throws a pick, or gets sacked and fumbles. You can't assume a pass would have gotten them the first down. That call is an example of being conservative, but not necessarily incompetent.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Wait until he finds out that J.D. switched his NASCAR team to Toyota!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Gibbs, hands down. More money was spent on his staff than Bowden's. At least Bowden clipped his son and brought in Jimbo Fisher to try to clean up the mess on offense. Jimbo could do the following: find a new QB and dump those two inconsistent slugs they have under center.

The same can be said for Randy Shannon and those two slugs he has at QB as well.

Broadway, that's the flip side of the argument, which had to be brought up. Al Saunders has what (?) 700 plays in that playbook, and they couldn't find one (run or pass) that could have been effective enough to convert?

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You have a point, I'm just saying that 3rd-and-8 is not exactly a gimme. I wouldn't say the Redskins "should" have picked up the first down there.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Guy I work with swears by his theory that Gibbs did it on purpose. He was sure the guy would make the 51-yarder and he wanted to be sure he took the heat and not his players during a difficult week.
    I told him he was as full of shit as anyone I've ever heard.

Massive fuck up. Too bad it happened during such a hard week but fact remains it is a massive fuck up.

Gotta know the rules.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Can Gibbs not count to 10??

Doesn't the thought flash through his mind, "hey, WTF defense are we playing out there, there's no deep safety, holy shit, TIME OUT!" ???

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Don't you mean "Holy shit, TIME OUT! TIME OUT!"?

Draft saved Draft deleted