1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Cowley, Chicago Sun-Times: Move the Toronto Blue Jays to Venezuela

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Apr 17, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Joe Cowley probably enjoyed his weekend in Cleveland. I believe that's where he's from.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Didn't read Cowley's col, but does he even realize that the team is owned by the owner of the largest cable outfit (or second-largest) in Canada? It's like the Tribune owning the Cubs to keep games on Channel 9 in Chicago, which was a good idea (for Tribune) for 30 years.

3. Tis amazing how thin the Canadian skin can be
    What Cowley wrote is no different than what Canadian hockey writers have been doing for years in places like Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta etc.
    Shit, a national network clown usually mentions it once a week on his segment
    Fact is, crowds at Jays games are shit. The tv numbers aren't bad, but watching for free and making the effort to buy a ticket and go watch a game are two different things
    Cowley might be an asshole, but there's a lot of truth to what he says (nevermind his asinine solutions)

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

big fucking difference Toronto has proven that it is a baseball town, none of the above mentioned hockey teams have. You'd have a long list of teams you'd move before the Blue Jays

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sam,

I've debated your question with a couple of people who work for MLSE. They say they don't think it will happen, but they're worried about it. They want to win -- and bad -- but, I think, from a sales perspective, they wonder if they'll see a similar drop.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You're not alone, Sam. I'm so sick and tired of the strike being used as an excuse for everything. It's been 16 fucking years since that happened, and MLB has set attendance records since then. People, the sport as a whole came back healthier than ever. Get over it.

As for individual cities? I just thought about this last week when AP pointed out Baltimore and Toronto had its lowest-ever crowds and then followed up with a balanced article saying other teams' attendances were up. It just depends on the city. For the longest time Milwaukee didn't draw well, but when they began putting the winning pieces on the field attendance shot up.

Oh, and the Jays' lowest crowd didn't come in the Sky Dome. It was what, a bit over 10,000 at Exhibition Stadium in April of 1977. So they'll return. Just give them something to watch.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ah, the good old days of Jays night games at Exhibition Stadium. If you were lucky it was Zero Celsius but that wind off Lake Ontario could make it feel like minus ten. Add to that the charming metal bleachers along the first base line and it was sporting event from hell.

As much as the Rogers Centre has zilch in the way of atmosphere, I sure don't miss those April games in that charming old dump.

8. I think it's funny now, with all these complaints about the place and its lack of atmosphere, to think back to its first few years when SkyDome was constantly touted as the eighth wonder of the world and where stadiums were headed.

Then came Camden Yards and the rest is history.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember when a big deal was made about how there were televisions in the dugout with monitors to the bullpen.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

OP@CY is as much an idea of the past as Rogers Centre nee Skydome.

Take a good look around at the HOK parks, can anyone tell one from another anymore?

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I remember SI noting they had McDonald's in the concourse, too. There was a four-page pullout in SI reviewing that stadium.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Miller Park is probably the closest amalgamation of Skydome and Camden Yards.

On the surface (and on TV), its definitely more like Skydome, the building itself is absolutely massive. However, they tried to incorporate the fan-friendly features, closeness to the field, etc., of the nuevo retro parks.

Draft saved Draft deleted