1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Carter's complaining his HR to win the WS ain't getting enough respect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 3, 2009.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

You and I find a lot of common ground on this board, but I can't believe you're asking me to defend this.

Fisk's home run was the climactic moment of what many consider to be the best game ever played and the best World Series ever played.

Thomson's home run was the climactic moment of what many consider to be the greatest comeback in baseball history.

Gibson was The Natural come to life, as Hollywood of an ending as the sport has ever seen, so much so that the actual importance of the winning homer -- with Hershiser a near lock to stick it up Oakland's ass in two of the next four games -- is rarely mentioned.

Carter is surely top-10, maybe as high as No. 5. Where he belongs, and no shame in it.

Again, nobody other than Joe Carter has thought about this. There's a reason for that, and it isn't because he wasn't wearing Yankee pinstripes.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's #2 after Mazeroski, maybe #3 after Thomson.

As I mentioned before, there have been two walk off home runs to win a World Series

Who else done that?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is carter paying you by the word?

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Personally, I think the best homer ever is when Parkman hit one off Wild Thing in spring training and got to rename the pitch.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm starting to think that great catch I made in Little League isn't getting its due because it happened in a red state.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess we don't want to get into the argument that the first baseball game ever played was in Beachville, Ontario in 1838. Probably not.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Were the Yankees involved?

8. No, it was the Kamloops Hosers and the Ontario Aboots.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Awesome. No matter how many times one says, "Aboot," it's never not funny.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, but spnited and JR were both there. :D

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's probably smart, considering that claim isn't taken seriously by John Thorn or anyone with any real knowledge of the origins of baseball.

There's no real "first" game of baseball, not in Hoboken, not in Beechville, nor anywhere else. We know a game called "base ball" was recorded as being played in Manhattan in 1823, we know Jane Austen referenced a game like it a few years before that, and there's strong evidence the game was played in Massachusetts as early as 1791.

Beechville has about as much legitimate claim to being the birthplace of baseball as ... well, Cooperstown.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

"Nice catch, pallister.

"But stop calling yourself 'Lil Klu. I'm sure Ted Kluszewski never cried when someone put ketchup on his burger or pooped his pants playing right field."

Draft saved Draft deleted