1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Carter's complaining his HR to win the WS ain't getting enough respect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 3, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope Joe Carter gets hit by a train. [/bitter]

EDIT: And this is some stupid shit. This is like the Dolphins.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Count me in...

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, Sonner and dargan ... do you think Jeter's Mr. November homer is more highly regarded than Carter's? Or Reggie's third in '77? Or Chris Chambliss?

I sure don't.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

And if it was the Titans or Ravens scoring a game-winning TD in the final seconds of the Super Bowl instead of the Steelers, that play would not have ranked as highly as it will for years to come. Part of the "greatness" of any play is who the participants are.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Depends on who you ask.

Yankees fans say yes, Blue Jays fans say no.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yankees fans are idiots if they say yes, KY.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Curt Schilling just buried his head in a towel and has no idea why.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

There's a bad journalism angle here, too -- an AP story with Joe Carter saying that Joe Carter's home run doesn't get enough attention. That passes for journalism? What do you expect him to say?

"Yeah, my home run to win the World Series kinda sucked in comparison to some of the others."

I doubt it's as much Joe Carter complaining as it is a reporter having a slow news day and reaching for a story. I mean, imagine the questions the reporter must have asked to solicit those quotes. Am I wrong here? Is Joe Carter waging an all-out campaign for his home run to be remembered more fondly?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Golly, I feel bad for him.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hell, it's past my bedtime; way too late to process all that. But I do think Carter's HR would receive more play had he been with the Yanks or Sox. ESPN might have its own network dedicated to it. :)

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'd say Reggie's third in '77 probably. The point is not how Yankee playoff homers compare to it, but how it would be viewed if it was a Yankee playoff homer, too.

Like pallister said. Roethlisberger to Holmes wouldn't be as hallowed if they had pewter helmets with Pirate flags on them, or a fleur de lis-adorned hat.

Draft saved Draft deleted