1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Buck: My addiction to hair plugs nearly cost me my voice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure both Buck and Nantzy jerk off to the sound of their own voices.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think joe buck has spent the last several years trying not to be this "performance" guy. Can't fault him for trying to shed some of the outer skin of BS that we all have in our lives.

Double Down likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Please allow me to step in as the Joe Buck defender on this one. (And I admit a bias...I've never met him, but he reached out through someone during my Olympic low moment to send support.)

Look, he's selling a book. You need something in there that's going to move the needle. That does it. And, it does show you the pressures some people feel to make themselves look good -- especially when it comes to TV. We've talked a lot about what women go through -- and it's absolutely worse than men -- but that doesn't mean we don't get torn apart too. My Twitter feed is full of people mocking by bald spot or weight. Now, I'm happily married, so I really don't feel the need to impress anyone. But Buck may have felt differently. And he's not the only one.

JC, Double Down and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is still one of the saddest stories I've ever read. I remember so well from when it was first posted here. The part where they cry together in the hallway of the courthouse after it's over could be a scene in a Raymond Carver short story.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  5. Double Down

I've never quite understood the Buck loathing. To me, he's so much more likeable than Nantz. Occasionally I'll write something that's controversial and alt-right nut jobs will spend the day attacking me on Twitter and it's always about your looks. Always. I always try to imagine that times 10 million.

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Hello friends

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I used to be a Buck hater (having him be the soundtrack to multiple painful World Series and playoff losses will do that), but I had basically gotten to neutral on him. He handles himself professionally on the air, has put a little more visible effort in and has been able to paper over what I don't like about his style with being experienced and informed. I think I realized he was just the face of all the production things FOX does that I don't like.

There was a good article within the last year in which Buck kind of let everyone into his world and he comes off as fairly grounded.

https://theringer.com/joe-buck-nfl-mlb-troy-aikman-announcer-f9657c5674f9#.h5fpvgcee

But developing an obsession with getting hair plugs? Kind of brings a lot of those feelings of vanity and superficialness back into play for me. Oh well, I suppose it's none of my business anyway.

8. Double Down

The fact that he's admitting this knowing people like you are going to judge him for that insecurity, to me, makes him even more admirable. You can say it's vain to write a memoir, but the real vanity would be writing a memoir that painted yourself in the most flattering light. He's saying "Look at how insecure I felt about my looks. Look at what I nearly did to myself. And I can't even promise I won't do it again. To me, he almost wrote this because by putting it out there he's revealing a vulnerability that's the first step to accepting who he is/what he looks like.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I understand Buck getting plugs. The visual projected to the viewers comes into play. And as noted above, he's selling a book and the story of how he lost the ability to do his job and lied to cover up the true cause is a hook. He's opening himself up to a lot of potential blowback by admitting it.

Over 25 years ago the call sheets after each broadcast (local TV) was where the on-air went to see what was being said. I remember one who damn near lived and died with what written on those sheets.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Buck has been openly contemptuous of the sports he covers, and has found himself apologizing for his demonstrated lack of interest. Given that and how he got his start in the first place, skipping to the front of the line, he is pretty easy to picture as an unlikable, entitled douche.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I can only guess the loathing is fueled by envy, and nothing else. Joe Buck does a fine job. Jim Nantz does a fine job. I have no idea why so many here hate either of them. So many people figure they can do better, yet there they still are -- on their couch.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Part of it too - and this is on Fox - is that he's overexposed. NFL. Baseball. Golf (which has been a spectacular fail). Thank Tebow for Gus Johnson or he'd be doing UFC. Remember a few years ago they were charting the progress of his limo as he went from a 49ers game at Candlestick to a playoff game at AT&T. And why?

Curt Gowdy pulled it off with NBC in the 60s and 70s. But that's because he's Curt Gowdy.

Draft saved Draft deleted