1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Buck: Bachelorette beats mid-week baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good God, y'all are missing the number one answer: Joe Morgan.

Unless you don't count him as an announcer. ;D

And I don't mind Buck. But, I also have Cardinal roots, so I'm probably not an unbiased observer.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw Buck on Letterman a week ago and he seemed uh, very relaxed. Don't know if he was on something or Letterman raving about his dad put Joe off or what but he did seem to be pretty happy with himself.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

In TV and radio, there are scores of talented announcers who only broadcast to local/regional markets while a handful of pudwhackers like Buck get the national gigs. A shame.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can find anything on the tube at any random hour that would beat listening to that pantywaist, whether it's baseball or football.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Al Michaels.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Did you listen to the clip? Cowherd confuses him with his dad, referring to the late Joe Buck, and tries to cover himself by noting that Joe is almost dead.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

During the pregame of the 2003 All-Star Game -- the first on that COUNTED! -- Buck remarked that we could see one of the starting pitchers, Esteban Loaiza or Jason Schmidt, go "as long as five innings" because of the importance of the World Series home-field reward on the line.

I got depressed because I knew that, for decades, there has been an All-Star rule limiting pitchers to three innings (unless the game goes extras) and the multi-million-dollar, No. 1 announcer for the network carrying baseball evidently didn't know.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Personally, I don't care what he watches during his off hours.

I always thought his on-air persona came across as very arrogant and self-righteous. And that's just something I don't care to watch.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

BLOGS! Where it's OK to capitalize Baseball and Sports with no rhyme or reason.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Sure Buck can avoid sports in his off-hours (goodness knows I do), but the sanctimony and Stepford announcing are so distant and forgettable that no matter how he spends his free time he is incredibly off-putting.

12. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

The guy is a smug prick who's adequate but far from special as an announcer. I hope one day anyone thinks one twentieth as much of me as Buck thinks of himself. When you have a great paying gig people imagine is a dream come true, anything other than gratitude for it is best kept to yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted