1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Biden For President

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is a Democrat that I can support. His time has come. We need someone with his international understanding.

He runs - I am on his bandwagon. Seriously.

He was one of the few who did not toss Joe Lieberman under the bus.

I know the plagerism thing will come up but really every canidate has flaws. He admitted his mistkake.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm someone that's always liked what Biden says, and he's got tons and tons of ambition. Maybe it's the cynicism I've learned, but sometimes I get the feeling he says stuff just because it makes for a good sound bite. Then again, as I mentioned, most of what he says is always pretty good and he's really become one of the leading experts on foreign policy. You don't have to agree with his policy to admit that he knows what he's talking about. And he's been an advocate for the partitioning of Iraq for a while now. He was also big on the COPS program that put an extra 100,000 police officers on the street.

Outside of politics, him and his kid are both kinda aloof and what have you. But as was mentioned, the whole drinking a beer with someone ain't exactly a good reason to vote.

And the whole plagiarism thing. Geez, I can hope people will get off of something that happened when I was in 3rd grade.

Of course with Obama and Hillary running, and Biden being from little ass Delaware, and really only northern Delaware if you ask anyone in that state, he's got no shot. Too bad, because he and Obama are the only ones I care much about right now.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I could see myself supporting Biden but I'll wait until 2008 (or at least late 2007) before deciding.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't stand Biden. He's just always rubbed me wrong and I can't get past it.

But I saw a few minutes of Meet the Press on Sunday morning and he was shredding Lindsay Graham in a dicussion about Iraq. He was just being honest about where we are at, what he thinks we should do and what he thinks Congress is going to do. He wasn't making the Pelosi cut and run argument. And he wasn't posturing--he was honest about the fact that the President controls the military and the power of the purse is meaningless, because unless Congress cuts off all funding for the military, the President can allocate the resources however he sees fit.

About Iraq, he basically said the obvious: the Shia-dominated government is not willing to make the compromises necessary in an emerging democracy--everyone saw how the Saddam hanging degenerated into an ugly Shia vs. Sunni show of vengeance--and as long as that's the case, there's going to be civil war. Our strategy seems to be that we're waiting for Thomas Jefferson to suddenly emerge and it just isn't going to happen on it's own. So Biden was saying we need to start giving ultimatums and make it clear that we are going to bail if they can't find a way to be inclusive and get the shitkickers under control (not exactly Biden's words, but...). It's not perfect, but I think it's about the best we can do with the mess.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And he's been saying that for months now, hell probably close to a year, and only now is it gaining any attention. Which to me is shocking since he'll bend over backwards for any producer from MTP or what have you.

6. Boom_70

Yes he has. It is a very pragmatic informed approach to a difficult situation.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Boom, if he sided with Leibermann, then you'd have a better chance of swaying me than you would the Fenian Gang to your side. Among democrats, I really don't think he's too bad, and I count Leiberman among the good guys.

8. Boom_70

Here was his position on Leiberman which I think was a fair and honest one:

Biden also said that while he was supporting his party's candidate for the Senate in Connecticut, Ned Lamont, he would not campaign against Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman, who is running as an independent following his defeat in the August primary.

Biden said Lieberman is a "close personal friend," that his son and Lieberman's son attended Yale together, and that his daughter-in-law was the matron of honor at Lieberman's son's wedding.

"It's a matter of personal honor," he said. "It's not possible for me to campaign against Joe Lieberman."

9. He has, his entire career, always said the right thing and then caved when it mattered. He caved during Iran-Contra, during the Thomas hearings, and a half-dozen other times. He loves the sound of his own voice more than he does the job of making actual policy. He's going to be really rough rhetorically on the Bushies but, when it comes to doing anything that might cost him 2 votes in NH. he'll hit the silk like he always does. I would also point out to Boom that, in declining to campaign for the nominee of his party, Biden put Beltway palship pretty far above the national interest, considering that Weepin' Joe is now one of three people in favor of feeding more kids into the meat grinder.
    Lastly, as is the case with the insufferable Mr. Lieberman, Biden likes to be on the Imus show too much.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

F-B, other than the Imus statement, doesn't your paragraph pertain to almost every politician in America?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm with Boom... If I had to vote for a democrat, it would be Biden...

12. Boom_70

Wow Fenian you are a hard man to please ( although be assured that was not my objective in starting this thread)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.