1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Barry Carroll, meet Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Oh lord.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Must've sucked to be born during a convention of 33-year--ahead future-seers. And that's what happens when you try to book a room during Christmas.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I agree that private businesses should have the right to discriminate in who they serve, but not in who they hire.

In this specific case, however, I would argue that the restaurant owner entered into a contract with Joe. People go to restaurants to sit down and eat a meal without interruption and presumably pay for it. The owner chose to break the contract based on Joe's gender and possibly his race as well.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Damn, JBC averaged almost 18 a game over 10 years in The Association.

Never would have guessed that.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

JBC could play the game a bit. Passionate, well, no. He wasn't Hakeem, nor was he Benoit Benjamin or Joe Klein. Kind of reminded me of Brad Daugherty. Not a stiff and not even close.

Anyway ... when I saw this thread my initial thought was to hope that SigR did not click on it. Just another of life's disappointments, I suppose.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Am I mistaken, or is the issue of racism still a he said/he said deal? The board found sexism and possibly racism, but it doesn't sound like THAT much of a slam dunk. Obviously if this guy did it to JBC, I hope it's a slam dunk, but it may not be that simple either.

8. Lester Bangs

It's kind of a dumb lawsuit and only serves to bring the bar a degree of sympathy. JBC would be better off to lead a very public boycott of the place.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Damn, Lester Maddox posts from the grave. Must have had help from Jesse Helms to figure out how to use the 'puter.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you might be the most ignorant troll ever to visit this board.

11. Lester Bangs

Tom, Sig is not a troll ... or have you not read Sig's sig.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

touche, lester, touche.

Draft saved Draft deleted