1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Arpaio says Obama's birth certificate forged

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obama was born in Hawaii.

But it's eminently possible that someone born abroad to American citizen parents would be deemed ineligible. "Natural-born citizen" does not necessarily mean "citizen at birth." (I happen to think it should, but in common understanding, I'm in a distinct minority.)

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Natural-born citizen would mean that if a parent was a citizen of the USA when you are born, you are a citizen. If someone were born to a person serving as a US Ambassador to a foreign country, the child would be a citizen. When you think about it, how would it be to disqualify someone whose parents were serving their country.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's not quite that simple.

If you were born in the United States but raised elsewhere, you are a citizen but you may not have resided in the U.S. long enough to be able to pass on your citizenship if your child is not born in the U.S.

For instance, here's the law as it stands right now for someone who was born on or after November 14, 1986. You are a U.S. citizen if you were born abroad and all of the following are true:

1) The person's parents were married at time of birth

2) One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born

3) The citizen parent lived at least five years in the United States before the child's birth

4) A minimum of two of these five years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday

I was lucky. Because both of my parents are U.S. citizens, all I needed for U.S. citizenship at birth was for one of my parents to have lived in the States for any amount of time before I was born - and my father lived on an army base in Washington state for a few months while training to go to Korea in 1951.

And, now that I've established my eligibility for the office, I may still enter the presidential race. Bow down to your new overlord!! :D

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama was born in Hawaii, the 50th state of the U.S. (End of story right there).

His mother was indisputably a U.S. citizen herself.

It doesn't matter who Obama's father was or if his father was born in Hawaii, Kenya or Krypton, Barack Hussein Osama Yassir Saladin Khaddafi Ruhollah Malcolm X Obama is a natural-born citizen of the U.S.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Who defeated John McCain, born in the Panama Canal Zone.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Farah also owes the hospital here Obama was born $15,000. He said he's donate $15,000 to the hospital after the long form with the hospital's name was released. It was released. Now he needs to pay up.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/articles/2012/07/17/20120717arpaio-obama-birth-certificate-issue-needs-further-investigation.html

Now Arpaio is saying that anyone who has a birth certificate saying they were born in Hawaii may not have been born in Hawaii.

Somehow, what they neglect to mention is that 1). The law did not go into effect until 1982 and 2). The birth certificate of somebody who was born in another state or country would list the actual place of birth, not someplace in Hawaii.
    Four-hundred unsolved sex crimes and they're wasting time and taxpayer money with this.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thanks Sheriff Joe. I guess now that crime in your county is down to zero you have time to focus on the bigger issues.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's the freakin President. He'll be re-elected. Next subject, please.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Sheriff Joe does have bigger issues, like calling out comedians.
    http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio-challenges-george-lopez-meeting-170150706--abc-news-topstories.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.