1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jody Conradt has coached her last game at Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do not know if AP moved it yet, but the Austin paper is reporting it.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Jody Conradt just resigned at Texas

Is this a shock to anyone? She's been around forever, but I never heard any rumors about this.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

AP just pushed a story.

Didn't she just go over 900 career wins? Seems pretty strange. Maybe she is "friends" with the LSU coach.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It was on the end of the NCAA women's selection show.

I hadn't heard any rumors, either. But since Texas didn't make the tournament field ... maybe she felt now was the time to step down and let someone else run the show.

Not bad, though. Nine hundred wins.

5. Re: Jody Conradt just resigned at Texas

Too bad Barnes isn't going to follow. The man's wasting the best freshman of the last 20 years and likely will cost them any shot at a title this year.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even a better coach would tell you that you can't win a national title without a bench.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Carmelo Anthony, Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman, Greg Oden, etc. were all freshmen in the last 20 years. Not sure if any were better than Durant, but they've gotta be mentioned.

And Texas is a No. 4 seed. Granted, they absolutely blew the Big XII title game. But a four seed is hardly cause for a Texas to weep.

8. Re: Jody Conradt just resigned at Texas

Who was on Syracuse's bench in 2003? I'm legitimately asking, because I can't remember a single player from its bench.

EDIT: You're right, Piotr. I should have said "arguably."

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

To get back to the original topic (not that I care much about women's hoops, but there are about 7,000 NCAA threads for you guys to discuss Rick Barnes' bad coaching as opposed to Jim Boehiem's mediocre coaching) ... both this thread title and the AP lead are misleading.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Texas women's basketball coach Jody Conradt resigned Monday after her team failed to reach the NCAA tournament for the second straight year.

later in the same story:

Conradt said she started thinking about retiring earlier in the season.
    "I'm not going to take another coaching job," she said.

Maybe it's a nit-pick, but there is a difference between a coach simply resigning and an almost 66-year old coach retiring.

I

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I just had a friend from Oklahoma call me about this.

Conradt's been aiming at 900 all year, and I'm guessing now is as good a time as any for her to step down.

She'll be missed.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No nitpick. S-P. Spot on, in fact. Conradt has been around Austin, and helped build that program from the ground up.

To read that story (night off, not at desk, was it Jim Vertuno at AP Austin?), you would think she's being run. No freaking way.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You might be right. I based my thread title on the headline and story on the Austin American-Statesman Web site.

Draft saved Draft deleted