1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jodie Foster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap ...

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Far from clueless. I'm from "I don't careville" and I really don't. It was an awards show that turned into a coming out party. I question using it as a venue for that.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gibson is likely a religious kook, a racist, and an anti-semite.

But friendship trumps all of these things for many people. And, so his close friendship with Foster allows him to overlook any prejudice he may have over her sexuality.

And, that's why it's so helpful for folks when people from Ellen, to Jodie Foster, to you neighbor, cousin, or college roommate come out. Then, it's no longer some vague concept or "lifestyle" engaged in by people who are "different" from you.

You realize that homosexuals are your neighbors, your family, your loved ones; people you trust, who understand and accept you for your faults.

It changes societal norms.

And, of course Jodie Foster should feel comfortable thanking her ex-partner and co-parent for being supportive of her and her career. That she might not have felt that way earlier in her career is incredibly sad.

And, maybe -- just maybe -- her relationship with Mel Gibson will make him a better person, and save his soul. Maybe Jodie Foster won't be an exception to his prejudiced opinions, but a catylyst for true change.

And, here's to hoping Drip, Yawn, Mark and others find their own personal Jodie Foster.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

You just backed up my post. Thank you.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was an awards show. I don't have a problem with her thanking people who she felt have helped her along the way to success but her declaration changed the dynamics of the show in my opinion.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You saw that as a coming out party? I saw it as more a lecture about maintaining some privacy.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap ...

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Her declaration? The only thing she declared was that she was single.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Drip being upset about Foster revealing all to the world is ironic (or not, someone tell me what that means again), because on my ride to work today, my co-worker was annoyed that Foster wasn't more vocal about the fact she's gay. She thought she had a responsibility to be more open about it and was slightly disappointed by the speech because of that.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was ironic that Julie Moore thanked Katie Couric

Draft saved Draft deleted