1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jodie Foster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not talking. I'm typing. Big difference sport.
    I know you like calling people names and if that's what turns you on, whatever. I also know its popular to be a band wagon jumper and along here, you are one of the best at that.
    What is the purpose of calling someone stupid because you disagree with their point of view? I guess in your eyes, that makes you feel superior or bright, but in reality, you're not.
    I'd have more respect for you if you'd point out a reason why you disagree than to resort to calling me a name. I don't have a problem with HC or even Azrael because they explained themselves. Hell even a guy posing as a moderator sometimes chimes in with a valid point instead of calling someone a name.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think it's cool that Suzie Hamiliton is bisexual

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She was raw and open. For somebody who has guarded her privacy like few in Hollywood, that couldn't have been easy.

The bit about her mom just crushed me.

Also, I know she and Mel Gipson have worked together a few times. But didn't she say he had saved her? I didn't know they were such close friends.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always been a big Jodie Foster fan. I think she's one of the best actresses of my lifetime...

Some of the reaction to this has surprised me a bit. It's been pretty well-known that she's a lesbian for ages, I think dating back 15-20 years...

TMZ and some of these other sites are acting like she just came out. I'm almost positive she's talked publicly about the woman who she was with for awhile.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When anti-Mel coverage was in full bloom, Foster was the one person who could repeatedly and reliably be counted on to give in-depth interviews on his behalf. I think it was Vanity Fair that I read a long story about his breakdown and she was in there.

The part about the mom was indeed beautiful. I get the feeling mom has dementia or something? Way it was phrased was she was just hoping something would seep through.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I can't sound stupid because, again, I'm typing. I'm definitely not telling everyone who doesn't think like me that they're stupid. I value opposing differences.
    If you disagree, I have no problem with that. But the name calling is childish and unnecessary. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's totally cool for you as a straight dude to talk here about your sexual preferences such as ramrodding your neighbor in the ass.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

My opinion is my opinion. You don't have to agree. Let's spin it another way. Why do you feel compelled to post silly retorts and play the part of jackass? Go ahead, I'll wait.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I did what to my neighbor? What are you talking about?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Gibson and Foster have been BFFs for a long time. It's the weirdest, most unlikely friendship in Hollywood.

I don't see how anyone could watch the part about her mom, who clearly has dementia, and not be moved.

I thought it was raw and honest and beautiful. I mean think about it, she's talking about everyone in the room is sort of like family because they've spent 43 years filming sex scenes and sad scenes and happy scenes together, and every single person in that room knows she's a lesbian but she's never felt the need to "come out" in public. So the "build up" in that speech is a somewhat clever joke. She didn't need to say "I'm a lesbian" because we all know she's a lesbian, which is why she joked "I'm single" then changed it to a riff on the beauty of having a private life away from the prying eyes of the needy gossip press.

As for Drip's regular obtuse routine, why not be proud of who you are, no matter who that is? Jodi Foster didn't have a 20-year relationship with another woman, raising two sons with her before getting divorced (just like straight people) because it was cool. She did it because that's who she is. And she did it an an award show because, as she said, this has been her life for 43 years. Those are her people, her extended family, sitting in that audience. She did it for some of the reasons people post personal things here from time to time: They're among a group of their peers and they want to have a shared experience with people who have similar passions, interests and levels of intelligence.

Rambling moments of real honesty are always more interesting to me than practiced, polished speeches.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I can actually hear the point zipping over your head. Jodie Foster never pointed out her sexual preference. Despite a long and successful career she's had to live through other people pointing it out for her and needlessly questioning it. Last night seemed like a response to decades of that to me. Not her self-congratulating her sexual preference. You are clueless.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Can't believe I left out the homophobia.

Draft saved Draft deleted